Part Forty Six

Chapter Forty Six

Mattie stepped out into the humid midday sun and sighed. It had been raining for about an hour earlier...and by rain she meant heavens opening downpour from hell. Now though, the sun was once again shining, the humidity was high, and coupled with the smog of the city it was hazy as she made her way along the block from her hotel to a cafe.  She’d been in Thailand for a few days and was having an amazing time. On the flight out she’d been sat next to two younger girls who were heading off on their gap year from school, they were full of stories of all the things they had planned for their stop in Bangkok. Mattie had intended to head to Thailand then connect to Chiang Mai four hundred and fifty miles north where her brother, and now father, lived.  But by the time the flight landed, she had changed her mind. Her family didn’t know she was travelling...this was an impulsive trip, and it was her time to have some fun, as much as she wanted to see her father, she could do with time to get her head square before. So she had headed into the city.

And what a city. The girls were staying on Khao San Road, the backpackers corner of the city, in one of the many hotels that flanked the narrow busy street.  She had chosen to stay in what the guide at the airport had informed her was a “modest” priced hotel. Less than thirty pounds a night significantly more than the girls had told her they were paying, but with a  nice restaurant, a roof top pool, and most importantly, air conditioning it was more than worth it. So far she’d seen so much, mainly visiting the tourist areas, restaurants, temples, and of course the famous nightlife. She didn’t feel threatened as a single female, but if she did she seemed to find gangs of other British travellers to do things with.

It was her first holiday in years, and she was loving every moment. She had no idea what she’d do the following day, but now...after a little brunch, she was going shopping...who knew what cheap gear you could buy there. She tapped her brand new fake Louis Vuitton handbag; she’d need another suitcase soon!

Dylan groaned looking at the computer screen completely foxed. If you were Matilda Davies, where would you save the invoices for the upcoming conference? It wasn’t that he needed to invoice the people before the event, but it was the only way of finding out the itemised details that the Edwards Miller Corporation had been promised. He’d tried every folder that seemed to make sense, but couldn’t find it. He’s searched every possible combination of words on every one of her hard drives, but had yet to find anything. Sarah was in her office doing exactly the same, and Dylan was starting to find work hard. Everywhere he looked he was confronted by memories of Matilda, not all as obvious as this one, some were far more subtle...then there was the rest of the bloody world, because EVERYONE asked about her. Why was he the one feeling guilty, the one feeling as though he was hiding something?

The phone ringing disturbed his search.

                “Yes?” he snapped into the handset.

                “Oohh!” Brandy’s voice squealed down the handset. “I’ve been trying to find you for what feels like weeks, and when you finally answer a phone - not yours by the way, you snap at me!”

He groaned, “Brandy I am up to my eyes in shit...honestly, I haven’t got the time for this!”

She tutted into the phone, “Dy-lan...you have got the huge quarterly meeting next week, you’ve not given me ANY info for it, the phone is ringing off the hook and I don’t know where you’re holding it...”

                “And I’ve got to find invoices for a five grand contract here, can I call you back?”

                “Of course, though I was actually calling Mattie’s phone to speak to her, can you put her on?”