Part Thirty Eight

Chapter Thirty Eight

Nothing was ever as easy as it seemed, Mattie thought as she watched the women ooze in Dylan’s direction and part of her wondered if her head had got it wrong all over again. He was impeccable in a suit, and most of the twenty three women on the hen party were swooning shamelessly. But then it had been an amazing day, and he was the one who’d organised things so perfectly.

She’d checked into the hotel that morning with the others, after finding their rooms, hers was the spare room in Dylan’s suite, they almost immediately boarded the huge helicopter that housed them all comfortably. The trip up the Thames had been amazing; the pilot tilting the vehicle from left to right so that those sat in the centre of the six rows could see where they were passing. It was exhilarating, but also gave Mattie the chance to catch up with the other people on the trip, friends and family of both Sarah and Steve, all who gushed impressively at their love for the happy couple, and the ‘amazing’ trip that they’d just been on.

Afternoon Tea at a historic Teas Rooms in Windsor preceded a trip back to the hotel, and the finger sandwiches, cakes and pastries were an equal match in quality to the trip back across the now dusky London skies. After landing at the rear of the hotel, on the huge green that often housed marquees for parties, they re-entered reception, Mattie reminded everyone that their cocktail party started in less than an hour.

She’d changed into the cocktail dress she’d brought along for the night’s event - a dark blue strapless bodice with a feathery skirt that landed at mid thigh. She’d bought it years earlier, when she still had money...but never worn it. She was impressed with how fresh it still looked, and with her hair swept up into a top knot, she fastened her mother’s necklace around her throat. She rarely wore it, but it gave her confidence, and she felt she needed as much as she could in that department.

As she approached the boardroom she saw Dylan. He looked amazing in a tux, inky black and immaculate with a snow white shirt. It more than suited him, and as he led the group into the room, every woman was hanging on his every word; it was like a cloud of oestrogen following him around. She stayed were she was, watching him lower his head to answer questions from Sarah’s friends, and smiling as they battered their eyelashes. She hated that it hurt her to see, but it did, she’d always hated to watch him be flirted with, his awareness of attention of women was poor, it always had been, and she had to keep reminding herself that he wasn’t reciprocating, that he was a friendly person; he was doing this for Sarah.

Then she actually stepped into the board room and froze. It looked amazing, she’d never have recognised it as the place they held meetings. Dozens of fairy lights illuminated the room, the walls, the windows were covered in rich coloured drapes, a bar in the corner was manned by two men, also dressed in dinner suits, and there were trays of canapés on stands around the room. It looked magical, and she had to snap out of her stare when Sarah rushed towards her.

Suddenly Dylan wasn’t listening to the blonde talking to him; he’d glanced up and become transfixed on the vision that was Matilda. She stood in the door, looking around, and she looked ethereal. His eyes fastened on her long neck, bare except for what looked like a filigree chain, her rich hair was tumbling in errant curls around her ears, and her dress...he took a deep breath, her dress coated her like melted chocolate. She literally took his breath away. Sarah rushed up to her and the two women hugged, unaware of his studious attention. Then he felt his body start to respond to her, this was neither the time nor the place, so he moved away. Made for the bar, checked the boys were ready, then encouraged them to call him if they needed anything.

As he got to the door, needing the sanctity of his office, he came face to face with Matilda.

                “You look amazing,” he murmured, liking the flush of colour that came with the compliment.