Sanya Basically Has a Bad Time

Start from the beginning

"Can I take this paper?" Sanya asked Mrs. Keyes, who looked up from the register.

"What's it about?"

"Oh uh-" Sanya wracked her head.

"Her great aunt." Edmund put in, his quick mind trying to overcome his emotion at seeing his own death report. "She died in this accident and she was named for her."

"I'm morbidly curious." Sanya gave the fakest smile of her life. "So, can I?"

"You have to bring it back." Mrs. Keyes said dryly. "I'm known for impeccable records, you know."

"I'll just photo copy it and she can bring it back." Lilith interjected, trying to keep the tears from blurring her eyesight.

"Alright." The librarian nodded. "Here you go, Ms. Pevensie."

The others looked to Sanya, who took the paper, mumbled her thank you to the Librarian and immediately began towards the door.

The Pev- the REST of the Pevensies and Lilith followed her, casting each other slightly confused but accepting glances.

“How about we get something to eat?” Susan suggested, noticing the atmosphere had shifted dramatically in the library, and it WAS getting onto mid day.

“Not M- Mc- the burger place.” Lucy spoke up quickly, much to Susan’s disappointment.

“Any suggestions, Lilith?” The Gentle Queen asked, snapping the girl out her thoughts.

“I- Oh. Uhm... . Nando’s. They do chicken. It’s just down here.” She spoke, leading them down the street. She was about to turn to Sanya about the ancestry app, but the younger girl was blatantly avoiding eye contact with any of them, and so she left her be.

"You know, you can just... tell Edmund you still love him instead of adopting his surname." Peter walked ahead with Sanya.

"Shut UP." She hissed at him and he quickly went back to the group.

Lucy, with eyes brighter than a puppy's came up next, attempting more to comfort rather than confront. "Sanya, we don't mind you using Ed's- our last name, you did marry him-"

"Lucy, you're an angel, but please stop." Sanya said as kindly as she could- which was difficult because embarrassment and pain was coursing through her veins.

Edmund kept his head low, trying to not notice his siblings go up and talk to his- Sanya about her sudden name change.

It was when Susan went up to her that Sanya lost it- which was sad because Susan, being the only logical one, had had no intention of interrogating her about it.

"Oh for fuck's sake, stop!" She said loudly, spinning around and facing the Pevensies. "Ellie thought Reza was my middle name and asked what my surname was so I said Pevensie because technically, it IS my surname... at least in one world."

She looked at Edmund challengingly, and he shrugged at her. Too many emotions were hitting him at the same time and so he simply turned them off.

But he couldn't help a little bit of anger lace his voice as he said, "Everything else about our marriage you ignore and reject but you keep the name."
Sanya stared at him, and he just shrugged again.

“I’m sorry.” The Unwavering spoke simply once the others had entered the restaurant, but she’d caught the eldest’s hand to keep him back.

“Lilith, don’t start-“

“No. No, hear me out, please, Peter.”

She watched as he gave a solemn nod, the only trigger she needed. “What I did was wrong- disgusting and stupid and just plain wrong. I’m not going to start making up excuses, you don’t deserve excuses. You don’t deserve ANY of this. I’m sorry, I really, really am and regretted it as soon as I’d done it. I fucked you over at the worst time I could’ve. It was selfish and cruel and I wish I could take it all back but I can’t. And today- when I saw your name in that paper-“ Lilith moved her hand forward to place it on his arm, but remembered the reason she was saying what she was, and so pulled it back.  “I remembered just how much I’d wanted to be with you. 2 years I did everything and anything to try find you- to try work out how to live without you- I’d only known you WEEKS then. But I got you. I had you and you had me and everything was- messed up but it was perfect. In that fucked up way it was perfect. It was you and me and muddling through things together but I fucked that up. I made a shitty decision and messed it up. I’m not expecting you to forgive me. I never expect you to forgive me. But I am sorry. And- I- I don’t want you to hate me. I hope you didn’t manage to because- now I’m asking you not to. You don’t have to LOVE me again- that’s not something I deserve after this. But just- don’t hate me?”
Then she was finished, suddenly realising that she was quite out of breath and hadn’t given Peter a single CHANCE to say a word through her speech.