Not Quite a Palatial Accomodation

Start from the beginning

“Deal.” He replied, clearly pleased with himself. “PayPal me it. Here, keys. Take number 23... oh, and I’ve got your number. I know where you live. I’ll be looking forward to the conclusion of our arrangement.”

And with that, he smirked before promptly closing the door.

“Twat.” Was all Lilith could mutter, but held the keys up, a slightly ‘didn’t go great but hey ho, mission accomplished’ expression on her face.

"You're not having sex with him, Lilith." Sanya had a very ugly look on her face.
She wished she could have beaten him up more.
Susan nodded resolutely.

"Absolutely not." Peter added, in complete agreement. "You're with me and I would never let you do something like that for m -us."

"It hopefully won’t be sex." Lilith shrugged, trying not to show how affected she was. "He might ask me to- he deals things, and often likes to let others make his deliveries."

Sanya raised her eyebrow. "The only way that helps anyone is if it's going to make the next Sherlock Holmes."

Lilith gave her a tight smile and they left that building, all of them breathing in the fresh air, even Edmund 'there's air inside' Pevensie.

"His flats are just the next building." Lilith said.

The flat wasn’t one of the worst, but it certainly wasn’t a cosy 40s family home Lilith decided, looking around.
She whipped out her phone, transferring him the money for the knowledge he was NOT one to be messed about with.
“It’s not-“ she sighed, turning around to see the look on their faces. “It’s a shithole, I know. I’m sorry. But I can’t think of anything else at the moment... there are only two bedrooms... but the sofas,” she peered over at said furniture “look manageable.” She spoke, feeling rather ill.
Oh, they deserved better.

“It’s better than nothing.” Lucy spoke with a smile, clearly trying to convince herself to see the optimistic side to their situation.

“Is it?” Edmund replied with a sceptical raised eyebrow.

Susan nudged him, hard, in the ribs, “Yes. Unless you want to sleep on the street. And you’re quite welcome to with that attitude.”

He made a face, but said nothing more.

"I can take the sofa." Sanya said, feeling sicker than ever. "You siblings can share the two rooms."
Were they in hell? Purgatory?

"But you can't sleep except in a bed." Edmund pointed out, trying not to show his worry.

"Then I won't." Sanya said, not looking at him. "How are the bathrooms?"

Lilith brightened a little at that. "Oh, the bathrooms are small, but ALWAYS clean, some tenants sued him pretty bad, so he keeps them spick and span."

"Thank As- goodness for small mercies." Peter murmured, sitting on a chair and then hastily getting up when he heard it creak ominously.

"Thanks, Lilith." They all chorused some moments later, as they all met up in the living room after a quick tour of the place- Sanya had stayed on the sofa and had started the first book.

"Don't." She whispered. "It's the best I can do, but it's not what you deserve."

"We'll get jobs." Lucy said optimistically. "We'll be improving our lot in no time."

Her elder siblings shared a sad glance at her hope.

“You’ll need IDs making first...” Lilith spoke regretfully. “But that shouldn’t be too difficult. We’ll nip by some shops in a bit and pick you up some clothes... do a food shop, too...”
Would her savings stretch that far?
Jobs weren’t something easy to come by, and with none of them having any experience or references or-
Oh, she’d fucked them over.
Sanya had been right. This WASN’T how things were supposed to be.
The Pevensies were NOT meant to be stood in a grotty, 2019 flat with no money, no clothes but what they were wearing.
Yet the only tie they had to that time, was her.
She looked at them all. Lucy knelt, appreciating Goose’s presence. Susan and Peter talking in hushed whispers. Sanya with her head already in the first book and Edmund, his eyes staring rather emptily out of the window.