- Zero -

"Because," said Thor, "when something goes wrong, the first thing I always think is, 'it is Loki's fault

"Because," said Thor, "when something goes wrong, the first thing I always think is, 'it is Loki's fault.' It saves a lot of time."

-

"Promise me you'll listen to auntie Val when mommy and daddy are away," I said, "and no sweets before bedtime, okay?"

Eir pouted but nodded, clinging tightly to the woman holding her against her hip. One of her tiny fists had found its way to Valkyrie's brown wavy locks, while the other was wrapped tightly around the back of her neck.

My eyes flickered to the to-do list I'd hung up on the fridge using the Captain America shield magnet Sam had given to us as a gag gift last Christmas. Things like nutritional tips, weekly chores and phone numbers to call in case of an emergency, all scribbled neatly in bullet-point style on a piece of torn notebook paper. The phone numbers didn't include mine, seeing as though I wouldn't have service and wouldn't be bringing it along on the trip. This meant no means of communicating with my own daughter for at least three months if everything went according to plan. The idea alone frightened me, but Valkyrie had been looking after Eir since she was a baby, and I'd come to trust the woman with my life - and thus my daughter's as well. 

She was only three but being a demigod caused her to grow twice as fast. At least, that's what Thor told me. According to him, her growth would halt at the human age of 18 and continue at a slow pace from that point on, which at this rate, should only take a few more years. Thankfully, the people of Asgard knew how to deal with it. The women in the community taught me more than I ever could've come to learn on my own and for that, I would be forever grateful. 

Besides, Valkyrie didn't have to do it alone. Bucky promised to visit her every weekend to make sure she was okay, which, when really thinking about it, didn't offer me much reassurance. I loved the guy to the moon and back, but he knew next to nothing about kids and to make matters worse, him and Val were like polar opposites, constantly clashing on every aspect. Still, Eir saw him as her uncle, and I knew a weekly visit from him would make her feel much better about the whole situation. I didn't want to leave, but Thor needed me to come with him and so I would. 

"We are going to have so much fun together, little munchkin." Val smiled, patting Eir's blonde curls. 

"Not too much fun though," I said, "You still have to focus on school, especially since you have homework now."

I grimaced. The words out of my mouth sounded alien. It felt as if I was speaking another language, one even I didn't understand. I honestly didn't know when I'd become such a concerned parent, because it felt like yesterday when I was a kid myself, struggling on the streets of New York City just to survive. Eir wouldn't go down that road though, I'd make sure of it.

"Are you ready? They're here," The voice of the man I loved came through the hallway, causing me to smile involuntarily. 

I kissed my daughter and pinched her cheek, smiling sadly at the sight of her and Valkyrie standing in the kitchen. I would miss my baby, miss Valkyrie, as well, but I had to remind myself that three months would pass by quickly and we would be reunited as a family in no-time.

Together, the three of us followed the hallway that led towards the front door. The backpack I'd packed with spare clothes, snacks and weapons stood by the door, already waiting for us. I picked it up and swung it over my shoulder, turning back to see Thor kissing Eir goodbye. He motioned for Mjolnir and Stormbreaker to come to him, which they did. He handed the hammer to me, watching me grasp it tightly in my hand while he took the larger weapon for himself.

I opened the front door, looking out over the scenic mountain range behind our home. A large space ship stood parked in the grass, its engines still roaring and lights blinking like a disco show. I could vaguely make out the outline of a group of people, waving at us to hurry along. Of course, they wouldn't come down to greet us. Figured. 

"We should go!" Thor shouted, voice booming over the sound of the running engine.

"I love you, baby!" I told my daughter, "We will be back soon!" I linked pinkies with her, squeezing her baby finger to indicate how serious I was in my promise. 

Then, Thor and I made our way towards the space ship that would hopefully bring us to Loki.