Can't Do This Anymore

Elaina knocked on the door. Muffled sounds of feet shuffling across the floor could be heard. The lock clicked and the door opened.

Her father stood on the other side. His dirty white shirt wrinkled. His blue eyes widened in shock. "Elaina?" He shuffled back and opened the door wider. "What brings you here?" His nerves shot up and uncertainty coursed through him along with surprise and hope.

"Can I talk to you?" She played with the hem of her shirt, rolling it between her fingers. She still wasn't sure how to react around him and what she had to talk about could make things worse. She was going to tell him to his face that she was rejecting a part of him.

The hope that he was feeling heightened. He gestured to the table. "Yes, of course. Have a seat." She walked over to the small wooden table and took a seat waiting for him to sit across from her. He stood by the door, hesitant and uncertain before he took a seat. "What do you want to talk about?" He nervously played with his hands.

She ran through multiple scenarios in her head on how she was going to tell him. Nothing worked. "I can't do it!" She shouted. Why did she do that! She instantly felt bad as hurt flooded her father's emotions. She waved her hands frantically in front of her. "I don't mean that! I still want to know you. I just can't do this." With her hand, she gestured to the room and everything beyond the four walls. "I can't do the hero thing." Her head lowered in defeat. "I'm no hero." She sighed, sounding lost and sad; dejected.

Pain shot through him. Elaina's head jerked up, afraid that her father was having another attack. He looked fine and there was no sign of blood leaking from his mouth. She had previously witnessed two of these attacks and they scared the hell out of her.

He licked his lips. "Why do you feel that you cannot be a hero?" He asked her like she was any other student.

"I couldn't think. When I fell during the exercise, I couldn't think. I had to rely on Bakuguo." She admitted out loud. "I couldn't save myself. How am I supposed to save others?" She shook her head in defeat. "I'm not hero material and I don't belong here."

Her father sat in silence for a few minutes composing his thoughts. "It's alright to rely on others. That can be the most difficult lesson for a hero to learn." He moved his hand over to where hers laid, hesitating before placing them on top of hers', giving them a light pat. "It's alright to hesitate and falter. You're just training, still in school, still learning, and even as a pro-hero it's still alright, it happens."

His words made a lot of sense but they did nothing to soothe her fear. He gave her hand one final tap before leaning back. "If you really feel that way then in one week, if you still feel like than you may leave. I won't try to stop you."

She nodded to show that she accepted his advice and terms. "Thank you." She got up and left, leaving her father alone to his thoughts.

...

Elaina slowly walked back to the dorm taking in the sounds of the night. A light breeze ruffled the leaves on the trees while crickets chirped on the forest floor. The wings of bats fluttered in the night sky as they flew underneath the stars. Everything was quiet and peaceful, the exact opposite of what was in her heart. She was going to miss this place when the end of the week was over. She knew that she would leave. She just wasn't hero material.

She sighed and kicked a rock. It soared through the sky, tumbling over itself. A hand shot forward and caught it in midair. "Glad to see You're feeling better." Tokoyami stepped out of the shadows and into view.

"Yeah. What are you doing out here?"

Tokoyami let out a long, annoyed sigh. He dropped the rock before crossing his arms over his chest. "I, along with Kirishma and Kaminari are looking for Bakugou. He skipped out on his chores again."

An image of Bakugou wearing Koda's pink apron while he cleaned and took out trash popped into her mind. She could see the angry scowl that he probably wore as he furiously completed his task. A giggle bubbled up, filling the night. Tokoyami gave her a questioning look. She ignored it and pulled herself together.

Closing her eyes, she tenderly reached out with her mind searching for Bakugou. Sleepy feelings of excitement, pride, anger, and exhaustion flowed through their connection once she found him.

She lifted an arm and pointed a finger in his direction. "He's asleep on the boulder just inside the woods." She informed Tokoyami. She had to admit that her powers had remarkably grown in the short time that she had been there. She'll have to remember to train after she left.

Tokoyami gave her a nod of thanks then began walking away. He made it a few steps before turning around. "You were amazing today. Not too many people would try to go after Bakugou alone."

"I'm not most people." She teased with a smile, the compliment making her heart flutter.

He turned his face so that it was cocked to the side. "No, you're not," he whispered before taking off in a run.

Her heart gave a little jump at his words. Her stomach became uneasy as butterflies took flight. Looking down at her arms, she muttered to herself. "Are these my feelings or his?" That was just another downside to being an empath. She never really knew if what she felt were her own emotions or those of the people around her.

She would have to figure out if these feelings were her own. She didn't want to make the same mistake that she had all those years ago.

 She didn't want to make the same mistake that she had all those years ago

(So, I decided to do an edit of Tokoyami and Elaina. The app used was Picsart and the pictures were taken from Picsart. Elaina is an edited Momo sticker.)