Fifteen

He woke up because something rattled. He was warm and comfy, and when he forced his eyes open he realized Gerard had lain down at some point, and Frank must have burrowed up against him in his sleep because his head was on Gerard's shoulder, and he could see Gerard's hand moving vaguely in the dim. He was holding something and worrying it in his fingers, but Frank couldn't see what.

Gerard took a breath, and - he was whispering, Frank realized, so quietly Frank could barely hear him, and Frank closed his eyes and kept still and concentrated until he could make out the words.

"As it was in the beginning, is now, and ever shall be, world without end," Gerard whispered. "Amen."

"You're saying the rosary," Frank realized aloud, and Gerard startled under him, making Frank's head bounce and connect painfully with the headboard. "Ow."

"Sorry," Gerard apologized, shifting so Frank could roll up onto his side and see his face. "I thought you were asleep."

Frank stretched and settled back down again, careful to put a few inches of space back between them, but keeping his knee pressed against Gerard's calf. "I was."

"I didn't mean to wake you," Gerard said softly.

"S'ok." Frank yawned. "Did you speak to the Cardinal?"

Gerard nodded, fingers still moving on his rosary beads. "I think he can help us. He's gonna call me tomorrow after he's figured some stuff out."

"Cool," Frank smiled. He reached out and touched the back of Gerard's hand. "Can I see?"

Gerard handed his rosary over without hesitation. "It was my Grandmother's."

"It's beautiful." Frank rubbed his thumb over the wooden beads, feeling their little carvings press into his skin. "Did she want you to be a priest?"

Gerard chuckled. "Actually, she wanted me to be in musicals."

Frank grinned and shook his head. "You're weird."

"Yup," Gerard nodded. "That I am. I'm surprised you recognized the prayer. Must be a long time since you said it."

"Once a Catholic," Frank said ruefully.

They lay in silence for a few moments. Frank could hear the others guys breathing in the living room; the occasional sleep-noise or rustle as someone turned over. He handed the rosary back to Gerard. Their fingers touched.

"Were you praying for me?" Frank asked. "I'm sorry, that's - it's just I've never seen you pray before."

"It's all right," Gerard re-wrapped the beads around his fingers. "Usually I'm more of an informal prayer guy, to be honest with you. Lots of conversations in my head. Or out loud, if I'm making pancakes or whatever."

Frank smiled and tilted his head back to look at Gerard. "Pancakes?"

"Or whatever," Gerard repeated. "I don't believe in separation between humanity and God. I just talk to him like he's right there."

"Does he ever answer back?"

Gerard scrunched his mouth up, thinking about it. "Sometimes. But never in the way I expect." Frank made what he hoped was an encouraging noise, and Gerard went on, "Sometimes it's just, you know, you've been out investigating someone's Big Mac that they swear looks just like the Holy Mother, and you come back to your motel or wherever, and you're watching Jeopardy, and you want someone to yell out the answers with."

"Jesus isn't good with quiz shows?"

Gerard grinned. "For someone who's omniscient, his general knowledge sucks."