Chapter 30 Across the Moors

Start from the beginning

"Em, how come everyone in our family is tall and your not?" Amanda said. She looked at Emeleth with a devilish smile, "The twins are over six feet like Pa and I'm tall for a girl like Mom."

"Perhaps we're not related. I was an elf traded for a tall baby," Emeleth said. Amanda laughed.

"You look just like me Em just tiny."

"I'm over five foot."

"Just barely."

"She is taller then the queen," Kim added.

"See, I am tall," Emeleth said and stuck out her tongue and they all laughed.

*****

Sidney entered the second floor apartment of Richard's. William was present as well as eight other men. Sidney was accompanied by his giant of a butler and Steven Greene. The butler passed out envelops to each of the conspirators containing a partial payment for the planned job. "I have arranged housing for all of you near the village. My uncle kept a hunting lodge and you can operate out of it with impunity."

"The chits have three others who seem to follow them everywhere," one of the men said. "I've never seen them alone."

"Just deal with them as you like," Sidney said, "bodies are forever being lost in the moors. The new Viscountess and her sister need to be found along with my dear cousin."

"How do we dispose of the others?" William asked.

"Use your imagination, I really don't care."

"If we can grab them all together we can get David and perhaps his brother to come looking for them," Richard said.

"You all can work out the details," Sidney said.

"Report your final plan and time table to me," Steven said. "Do not attempt anything without clearing it with me first. Who are these other women?"

"Just more of my cousins," Sidney said, "Oh and my dear brothers fiance. If they get caught up in this it's their fault not mine."

"I've arranged transportation for all of you," Steven said, "do not congregate together and do not talk to the villagers. The new Viscountess is very popular for some reason and has a fawning following in the village. Just keep quiet and watch for now."

"You are being well paid," Sidney said, "I expect results and your total co-operation. I will not tolerate failure so be forewarned."

*****

"I'm here," Emeleth called to her companions, "The little room next to the tack room." The others entered the room and looked about. There was a small table and some old worn chairs. Amanda saw of pile of old clothing neatly folded on the table. "The grooms usually use this room for card games or other recreation. I'm just borrowing it."

"What's with the old clothes?" Amanda asked.

"Oh, they are for us,"Emeleth said smiling. "Our bog clothes."

"These are boy's cloths, Em," Amanda said as she looked through the the assorted pants and shirts on the table. Where did you get them?"

"The pastor's wife keeps a box of old clothes. I got permission to take some."

"Old rags," Jill said holding up a very worn pair of pants with patched knees.

"We are going on to the bog," Emeleth said. "It will be fun."

"Father said people get lost and go missing on the bog all the time."

"We'll be fine," Emeleth said, "let's change." The young women disrobed down to their short shifts and sorted through the old clothes then each discarded their shifts and dressed in a shirt and pants. Emeleth tied the shirt tail in a knot just above her waist as it was missing buttons.