Chapter 10 Sweeney

"I don't think it was Sweeney."

"Then who took that pot shot at me?" David asked.

"My guess," Sean said, "William or one of his sons."

"Why?"

"Jealousy, you're getting a lot of attention from Em. Perhaps they're afraid of losing her. She does everything for them."

"How do you know it wasn't Sweeney?"

"I was with him. He was playing cards at the saloon, William had just left after winning a considerable sum."

"And the twins?"

"They were out somewhere, upstairs in the saloon with company."

"Damn!"

"Sweeney cheats," Sean said offhandedly, " He's really good at too. Not as good as me.".

"I didn't know you cheat!" David looked at his friend surprised. Sean smiled and shrugged his shoulders.

"Well I'm still courting that woman. Her brothers sought me out the other day to suggest I stop seeing her."

"Knowing you that only makes you more determined."

"I want that little woman in my bed real bad."

"You're not planing on breaking her heart I hope." Sean looked into his eyes and continued, " I like her and would have to shoot you if you did."

"What the hell is this!" David shook his head, "Her aunt, the pastor and his wife, her brothers and now you. Everyone wants to protect the woman."

"Em is a special little lady, she elicits everyones gentler side. Everyone who gets to know her wants to protect her and take care of her."

"I want to spend my life doing that."

"How's the courtship coming?"

"She is the most stubborn woman in Kansas, no the entire world! I'm taking her and her sidekick for diner tonight."

"Have fun, I'll be watching Sweeney cheat at cards. Hopefully he'll get caught and someone will put him out of the picture."

"Is he after William's money?"

"I do not know but William is in deep." Sean looked pensive and shoot his head, "I have no idea what he's after, at least it's not Em."

"No, I'm the one after her."

David walked over to Emeleth's home and holding hands they walked to the hotel dimer. "Where's your little shadow?" David asked.

"She went over to the diner earlier. Our cousin Jillian is washing dishes with her sisters and Manda helpfully volunteered to give a hand. They have been overwhelmed this last week with more cattle drives coming in."

"I'm surprised you didn't volunteer."

"I will later today." Amanda came running out of the kitchen to hug her sister. She was smiling.

"David doesn't she look beautifully?" Emeleth was wearing a light gay gingham pattern dress with a white pinafore, I was old like most of her cloths but this dress fit her well.

"You do look very pretty Em," David said.

"I altered the dress. I decided to wear better fitting clothes. I got this at the used dress shop. The pinafore is ideal for washing the dishes or cooking."

"You still aren't wearing shoes!" David teased. Emeleth laughed in response.

"My feet hurt, not at all used to shoes." Amanda returned to the kitchen and the dishes and they found a table.