Chapter 3 First Encounter

David left the telegraph office after dutifully sending off a telegram to the Marquess. All of his life he had resented his father's gruffness and apparent indifference to his offspring. He had been jealous of his older and younger brothers. But his injury from a Congreve rocket and subsequent near death from fever brought a greater appreciation of his father. The old man had sailed to India to be with him and taken him home to recover. He saw another unexpected side of his father and no longer envied his older and younger brothers who also came to his side. He was grateful for the care they had shown and had made peace with his father and brothers.The demands for regular telegraphs were now understood as evidence of his fathers love and David made every effort to comply.

David found Sean sitting in the saloon nursing a whiskey. Sean watched as two men sat at a table near the door drinking and talking loudly with two pretty barmaids. They were playing cards and laughing. Sean could see two woman walk up to the door followed by David. The younger dark haired young woman was standing at he door timidly looking in. The other a tiny woman of indeterminate age walked briskly into the saloon and stood at the table of the gamers with her arms folded across her chest waiting in silence.

When David approached the door Amanda had her back to him as he approached. "Excuse me Miss," David said softly. Amanda jumped and turned to face him and her face flushed. David smiled at her as he walked past her and followed Emeleth in.

"This American whiskey ain't half bad," Sean said to David and pushed a glass of claret over toward him. David still standing at the table and took a sip.

"You're not allowed in here!" the barkeeper shouted.

"I'm not?" David said startled. "It's a..."

"No not you, the ladies," the barkeeper said pointing at Emeleth and Amanda.

"Ain't we ladies, Jimmy?" one of the barmaids teased and Jimmy just shook his head. She turned to Emeleth, "And what do you want 'honey'?" she said dripping with venom. David took a seat next to Sean.

"That's just Em," Jake said.

"Your wife, maybe your mama?"

"Our frumpy little sister Emeleth," Freddy said.

"You didn't do your chores again!" Emeleth said accusingly staring at her brothers with her lips pursed tight.

"That was your fault Em," Jake said.

"How..."Emeleth look surprised.

"Pa said you locked us out again, so we made plans to stay somewhere else."

"We need you home to run the livery and blacksmith shop, a cattle drive is in town."

"Pa can handle that," Freddy said.

"He's in jail again."

"That's your fault too for locking him out." The conversation was getting nowhere and Emeleth was getting close to a fit of temper. She took a deep breath to calm herself. She put her hands on her hips. If she were not a grown woman she would have stomped her foot in frustration.

"It's my fault you both spent a night with whores and WE had to do your choirs again." Amanda had entered the saloon and was now standing next to Emeleth. The barmaids appeared angry and one stepped forward to confront Emeleth standing mere inches from her face.

"Just because you're too homely to get a man, you got no cause to call us names and take our men away."

"I'm sorry," Emeleth said softly, "I truly am, I just want my brothers to go home." The angry woman then shoved Emeleth hard and she spun around and reaching for a table and started to fall. A man she had not noticed before was immediately on his feet and seized her breaking her fall.