Chapter 7 Midsummer Dance

Start from the beginning

"You both look lovely," David said. He presented the roses, "I got these for you." Both women blushed as they accepted the roses.

"What do you think of Em's hair?" Amanda asked, "I put if up for her."

"I love both of your hair. I'm surprised how quickly you got ready."

"We bathed together," Amanda said, "Your tub is huge."

"I'll remember that for future reference," David said blandly but thinking of sharing the tub with Emeleth. The thought excited him so he worked hard to clear it from his mind.

"Isn't Sean coming too?" Emeleth asked.

"He's not into dancing (or Methodists David thought). So it's just you and me."

"Let him know we missed him," Emeleth said.

"Shall we go to diner then to the dance?" taking each of them on his arms he lead them to the hotel's diner. They had their veils up and were immediately recognized as they were seated even though Emeleth was not wearing her spectacles.

"Everyone staring at you Em," Amanda whispered.

"You always garner the stares, Manda."

"No Em, it's you. I always told you you were pretty."

"Both of you are dazzling tonight," David whispered.

The reaction they received at the dance mirrored that of the diner. Emeleth found herself sought out for conversations. The Pastor and his wife Phoebe were gracious as usual. Emeleth had replaced her spectacles and was standing with Amanda talking to Phoebe when David began to approach.

"Is that the cowboy Amanda had mentioned," the pastor's wife asked, "The one that hurt you feelings with crude comments."

"He meant well," Emeleth said softly, "he just has a knack for saying stupid things." Hopefully he will refrain from talking Emeleth mused and I can enjoy just looking at him. David smiled when he spotted her. "Why did he have to smile?" Emeleth thought and she felt her face flush and her heart race. David walked up and nodded at the pastor's wife and Amanda and spoke.

"I believe this dance is mine Em."

"Em doesn't dance." Amanda said. Phoebe nodded in agreement.

"But she will with me," David said smiling, "come Cinderella, you were born to dance." He offered her his hand and she took it following him to the dance floor. She wanted to dance. Her heart yearned to dance. So determinedly she followed him warmed by a faint glow of hope. And then in a matter of seconds she lost her nerve.

"What if I stumble or fall," she thought. She became terrified of being humiliated. She became furious with anger. She glared at him and pursed her lips. She wanted to kick him, scratch his eyes out. She prayed that the earth would open and swallow her up, anything was better than this humiliation. She felt trapped and yet was unwilling make a spectacle of herself by withdrawing.

"You just want to make a fool of me," she whispered through clenched teeth. David smiled at her and took off her spectacles and pocked them as a waltz started.

"Trust me sweetheart and smile."

"You stole my..."

"Yes I did, didn't I. Now smile you're having fun." He laughed and she thought he was mocking her. She pasted on a grim smile hating him with ever greater intensely again.Then she realized she was dancing. He held her firmly helping her maintain her balance. She discovered that if she kept to the ball of her right foot she could dance. They whirled around the floor and she returned his smile with a real one. He could see and feel the change in her as she relaxed. He could feel the warmth of her being close and smell the rose scented soap she had used. Everything about her filled his senses, the softness of her breasts as she brushed against him, the warm feel of her back as his hand rested on her, the narrowness of her waist, the roundness of her exquisitely feminine hips and bottom. He ached to pull her tight and kiss her.

Emeleth was flying as she danced. The other dancers appeared as just blurred colors. She had never felt so free, so alive. She remembered how she had always loved to dance and the sorrow she had felt when it was taken from her. She had never thought that she would dance again, yet here she was dancing. She closed her eyes savoring the experience. The music reverberating through her body and touching her soul. Her spirit soared as she danced. She felt safe in David's strong arms. He would never let her stumble, allow her to fall. The dance ended and Emeleth was breathless and staring into his eyes. He stooped to whisper in her ear, "Thank you for the dance my Cinderella." He did not return the spectacles for the rest of the dance. They danced several times together and David also danced with Amanda. Emeleth danced only with David living only in the moment, feeling free of that horrid day she refused to even think about.

When the dance ended David, with great flair, returned her spectacles and they returned to the hotel. David again waited outside the door until they changed then walked them home. Amanda walked quickly into the house but David stopped Emeleth. Her pulled her close, he gently kissed her lips and whispered, "Thank you for a wonderful evening. I'll see you at church tomorrow." Emeleth clung to him for several seconds and her legs felt suddenly weak. She was speechless and stared onto his face. She smiled tremulously and blushing nodded and turned and walked into the house.

As soon as she got inside Amanda hugged her and asked, "Did he kiss you, Em?"

"I'm not the kind of girl to kiss and tell."

"Then he DID! I'm so happy for you. How was it?"

"It was nice. Now we got work to do. We got to get the rest of the laundry in ironed and folded, start cooking the calico beans for the church supper and a pie to bake."

"I'm really happy you danced."

"So am I, now let's get the laundry in before it rains."

David walked back to his hotel. He was already looking forward to spending time with Emeleth. Closing his eyes he could still feel the memory of holding her in his arms, smell the fragrance of roses in her hair and see the sparkle in her eyes. He was just walking not really observing his surroundings when a gun fired within close range. He saw the stones of the side of the building just above his head shatter inches from him and he dove to the ground, his gun drawn and cocked.