Chapter 6 Lady Incognitus

Începe de la început

"I've never dreamed of coming to this place," Emeleth whispered while looking around in awe.

"I come here every time I'm in town." David said.

"I have no idea what to order!" Emeleth said.

"We don't have to rush home to milk th cow," Amanda said happily.

"Until Pa buys a new one," Emeleth reminded her quietly.

"What happened to your cow?"

"Pa sold it to pay a gambling dept," Emeleth said. "Pa is real good at paying his gambling debts. You got to give him credit for that."

"Talking about cows," David said with a smile, "let me recommend the house special, rib eye." David signaled the waiter and the young women lifted their veils. Emeleth was not wearing her spectacles so initially she was not recognized by the other patrons but Amanda was immediately recognized then they both were. Nothing was said but whispers were exchanged. They ate a leisurely meal and David and Sean drank beer. The young women sipped tea.

"Try the beer," David teased, "you might like it." Emeleth smiled at him and tried a sip from his glass then made a face.

"It's bitter!"

"That's the hops."

"I'll stick to tea."

"I know. We can try brandy next," David teased.

"I suspect you're trying to get me drunk," Emeleth teased him back. She smiled coyly.

"Would it work?" David said.

"I just thought of something," Amanda interrupted, "Pa ain't going to be too pleased." She looked stricken, her face was turning bright red and she added, "the boys already accused us of whoring around."

"We used our own egg money for the dresses and I won't let him make us take them back," Emeleth added firmly.

"I'm afraid of Pa!" Amanda added.

"I have a suggestion." David said slowly, "your work clothes are already stored in my rooms. So why don't you just change there and go home tonight. You can keep your shoes and dresses in the closet. And tomorrow for the dance change there. After the dance the entire city of Abilene will have seen you dressed up and at a church event."

"You would do that?"

"I would give you full and total privacy to change in,"

"I don't..."

"And use of the bath tub with hot and cold running water, scented soap....shampoo..."

"We accept," Emeleth said.

"We will wait outside the rooms so you will not be disturbed,"

"Why are being so nice to us," Emeleth asked.

"You want the honest truth?"

"Yes, of course I do."

"I'm very fond of both of you. I intend to properly court you Em."

"You must know that I can never marry," Emeleth said.

"Why is that?"

"Who would take care of Manda. Besides I will only marry for true love and you only get that in story books."

"Then I'll start calling you Cinderella," David teased. Emeleth laughed.

"You ain't no prince, cowboy."

"Oh, you never know," David teased. Then with Emeleth holding his right arm and Amanda on his left they walked back to the hotel. "May I ask you a personal question?"

"You may ask, I may not answer."

"How old are you Em?"

"I'll be five and twenty on September twenty-ninth. Amanda turned sixteen on June twelfth. I'm quite old and off the shelf." She laughed as she declared herself off the shelf.

"I'm nine years your senior."

"I take it you were in the army."

"Yes, in India."

"I've noticed Sean call you Major."

"I was in the calvary."

"I've never been out of Abilene."

"Have you ever wanted to travel."

"Never thought of it...Oh! We do our laundry tomorrow in the morning so we need to take your stuff home with us tonight."

"I will carry it over a when I escort you home."

"Do you really want to court me?"

"Yes, I meant every word."

"I would like that David Evans. I would like it very much."