Nine

❄️❄️❄️💎❄️❄️❄️
Elyssa's POV
❄️❄️❄️💎❄️❄️❄️

"Awsten—!"

I bolt upright, gasping for air. God, that nightmare was horrific! I look over to see the other side of my bed empty. Wait, empty?! But he was there when I fell asleep...oh no. So my nightmare was real, and he did really leave me. Just as my panic starts to rise again is when I notice the sticky note lying on the unused pillow. Once I pick it up, I instantly recognize Awsten's handwriting.

Snowflake,

You're gonna wake up to find me gone, but don't worry. I was about to fall asleep, plus a fuck ton of other things came up, so I had to go home. I'll be back at about noon-ish to pick you up, but don't quote me on that. I will be there, though!

Awsten

As soon as I finish reading the note, I set it on my bedside table and wander to my closet, scanning through it to find an outfit. I eventually settle on a white T-shirt tucked into dark skinny jeans with a light blue jacket thrown over top and white flats. When I'm changed, I unplug my phone and head to the kitchen, grabbing a couple chocolate chip granola bars to snack on for my breakfast, then to the living room, where I sit and eat with anticipation.

"Oh, I'm totally gonna kick his ass at air hockey," I state pridefully to no one except myself. My cousin Jordan had been the Bellman air hockey champion for a good ten years before I was old enough to play. During my match with them, I ended up winning, ending their reign in one fell swoop. But I didn't quite do it all by myself. Whenever we could, Awsten and I would ride our bikes down to the arcade that lived a few streets over from my house, pockets filled with quarters.

After an hour or so of waiting, my phone chimes, and I check it instantly; my excitement of it being Awsten dwindles immediately when I see the name 'Britanny.' This'll be an interesting conversation.

It's Britanny, bitch
-Hey, wanna grab lunch?
We haven't talked in a bit.
I miss you :(

No, I hiss in my thoughts, you miss making me feel like shit for something I can't control! I send her a simple "Sorry I'm busy" in response and sigh, locking my phone and looking out the window. At least my response is true, and I actually am busy. But I'm busy spending time with someone who likes me for me, not someone who thinks I should change. Now that Awsten and I are back to the way things used to be in terms of our friendship, my eyes have been opening a lot when it comes to Brittany's actions. However, I still feel awful doing this to her, cutting off contact like I am, but it's unfortunately necessary for both my well-being and the fate of my relationship with Awsten.

❄️❄️❄️💎❄️❄️❄️

"So, do we wanna hit air hockey first?" Awsten asks as we walk into the arcade. Well, he walks anyway. I pretty much skip, I'm so excited. "Or warm up with some other games?"

I put a finger to my chin, scanning the area in front of us. "We each get two games to warm up," I decide.

Smirking, Awsten says, "Sounds good," before dashing off. Giggling at his dorkiness, I casually walk over to a Pac-Man console; growing up, my dad and I played this game a lot, mostly for fun, but also because he said it can help better your hand-eye coordination. A perfect warm-up game for one such as air hockey, which requires a fuck ton of hand-eye coordination.