Two

I've been sitting here for twenty minutes. Where the hell is he? Maybe he only said yes so he wouldn't upset me...ugh, if only I could contact him! He isn't the kind of person to agree to something like this only to turn around and not show up; that I know all too well. Still, I can't keep from fearing that he may have changed in the 11 years since I last saw him.

As if I summoned him, I spot his fading blue hair as he takes his place in the (surprisingly short) line. Knowing he hasn't seen me yet, I decide to study him, see just how much he's changed. He still looks mostly the same, only his baby face has disappeared entirely; in its place is a beautiful structure with a distinguishable but soft-edged jawline. He has hints of stubble appearing along it, and I start to feel guilty that I left him right before the toughest part of anyone's life kicked into high gear. His overall build is still just as lanky as it was when he was a tiny 12-year-old, just more filled in. He doesn't look so much like a stick figure anymore. He's also noticeably taller, although not by much; I doubt he's even 6 feet tall.

He looks over at me then, and I immediately turn my head away, knowing that my face is probably bright pink. So much for not making the reunion awkward, way to go Elyssa. Flicking my gaze back to him as I run my finger around the lid of my cup, I see he's smiling to himself, shaking his head a little. Returning his smile, though more timidly, I give him a slight wave before pretending to look at something important on my phone.

Once he makes it to the front of the line, he talks to the lady on the other side of the counter for a minute or two, then finds his way to the table I saved for us. Not knowing what else to do, I smile in greeting and take a sip of my hot chocolate; I've always hated coffee, way too bitter for me.

"Hey," Awsten says brightly as he sits across from me.

"Hi."

"So...been a while, eh?"

Nodding, I reply, "Definitely. Gotta say, though, you're still the lil' oddball I remember."

Rolling his eyes, Awsten says as his face turns pink, "Maybe, but I'm still just as cute, so that for sure makes up for it, yeah?"

I open my mouth to reply, but the barista calls his name, cutting me off before I can speak. Holding up a finger to me, Awsten stands and makes his way over to get his coffee. Just then, my phone chirps; pulling it from my pocket, I see that Britanny texted me. Opening my messages, I find that she sent me a photo of her and Jennifer, smiling from ear to ear, with an expanse of ocean behind them.

It's Brittany, bitch
-Made it to P.R! 💙
*Attachment: 1 image*

Rolling my eyes and groaning, I lock my phone and shove it back into my pocket. I can always tell a white lie and say I've been busy when I text her later.

"What was that for?" Awsten's voice asks softly as he sits down.

I shake my head. "My friend Britanny," I explain. "She and her wife just left for their honeymoon, but yesterday we got into a fight."

"A fight? Why'd you guys fight?"

"Something dumb," I lie, crossing my arms over the table.

Awsten hesitantly reaches his hand across and places it on one of my arms. "It's not dumb if you guys got into an argument about it."

I stare at him, then sigh. "It's nothing, seriously."

He leans back, fidgeting restlessly with his hands as if unsure what to do with them. I change the subject then, asking what he's been up to all these years. Upon hearing my question, Awsten's face lights up, making my heart skip a beat. Sure, he's just as cute as I remember, but now that cuteness has turned more into a refined beauty. I'm honestly shocked no one's tried to snatch him up yet, as gorgeous as he is.