Chapter Thirty

A/N: Sorry if this seems to jump around a bit. It just felt right this way. I might edit another scene in between the second and third time-skips later, but that’s only if I manage to get it written. I tried quite a few times and it didn’t work. v.v Sorry guys~ OH! And the song to the side I think fits Nao pretty well.

Practice was awkward, that was certain, but easy enough to get through. No, what actually caused me problems was the way everyone acted when I arrived at school the next morning. When I came in, none of the class would meet my eye. Confused, I walked over to question Chie about it- only for her eyes to get about as big as saucers the moment she noticed me.

“N-Nao!” Chie sputtered, suddenly shoving the papers off of her desk into her bag.

I blinked, staring at her for a long moment.

“... what are yo-”

“Look! Mori’s here!”

Surprised, I turned slightly to look towards the door. Just as she’d announced, Mori and Honey were coming through the doorway, greeting the few fangirls we had in our classroom as they crowded around to talk about something. That in itself was slightly strange. They’d been left alone in the classroom for the most part.

“Of course, it’d be strange if he wasn’t here soon, class is ab-” I commented, cutting off when I turned back to find Chie laying her head against her hand, her bag having completely disappeared. There was a suspiciously bright smile on her face which caused a frown to appear on my own. “You’re not up to something, are you?”

“Me?” Chie asked, looking astonished. “Who would ever think that I was up to something? Never. Not in a million year-”

“Chie-chan, could you be bad at keeping secrets?” I mused.

She paled.

“O-of course not!”

“Rea-”

“Oh, look, it’s Ren-kun!” she announced, suddenly standing.

Ren must have been eavesdropping, because he cocked his head at the sudden attention.

“Wh-”

“I need to talk to him about some math,” she continued, hurrying in his direction. “Sorry, Nao-chan~”

“You know,” I commented lightly. “He’s horrible at math.”

She paused next to Ren’s desk, shooting a look between him and I.

“That’s why I need to talk to him! I’m… tutoring him!”

“You are?” Ren questioned.

Chie shot him a dirty look, which actually seemed highly threatening even from where I stood.

“I. Am.”

“... she is,” Ren slowly agreed.

“What’s going o-”

“Nao-chan~” Honey interrupted cheerily. “You’re getting your cast taken off after class, right?”

Startled, I turned my attention away from those two and nodded.

“Yeah, so I’m going to miss the majority of club hours,” I replied thoughtfully.

“You’re still coming back here to get picked up by Takashi, though, right?” he asked, tilting his head.

“I am.”

“Good!” he declared.

Confused, I simply found my seat as he began to chatter about other, unimportant things. Mori took his place between us and when I shot him a questioning look, he simply shrugged, obviously not planning on explaining the matter. Grumbling, I pulled out my school books and began reviewing what we’d be working on today.