06| Danger Zone

***

Iris and I watched as our siblings continued training. Wally was getting better, but he wasn't good enough. At least not to go against the Rival who was becoming a bigger issue everyday. Terrorizing the city to new extremes. Central City wasn't the same anymore. People walked down the streets in fear, unsure it they would make it home. There were comparisons being made with Gotham City, the city terrorized but villain so unimaginable it was difficult to believe that people still choose to live there at all. 

Watching these two train, brought back man memories. When I was young and thinking that along with my group of friends that I could make some kind of difference. Now I earned to be able to be able to shoot an arrow again. Have that rush of excitement when it hit its target. But just like Roy I simply couldn't do what I used to. 

Suddenly both Wally and Jade fell to the floor. I wasn't able to see how it happened, but it was clear that they were no longer taking any of this seriously as they both began to laugh. Further confirming my worries. I knew that allowing them to be in a relationship would only cause them to be each other's distractions. But I also knew the forbidding their relationship wouldn't do anything, only make matters worse. 

"You two need to focus." I told them firmly. They had to take this seriously, maybe in any other circumstances I would have allowed them to have their fun. Both of them being so young after all, but now wasn't the time. "Your training is something that you need to take seriously."

Wally nodded, sending me a smile that was both awkward and apologetic. "You're right Diane...I'm sorry."

"It won't happen again." Jade added not meeting my eyes, she was clearly ashamed of herself. She has always taken her training seriously, never had a misstep.

Jade and Wally set up again, and were just about to continue their training when the show Iris was watching got interrupted by an emergency report. 

"Downtown Central City is once again being terrorized by the speedster known as the Rival. Further worrying the citizens, considering that this attack is being done in broad daylight. So far two have been tragically killed in this sudden attack that..."

Iris then turned off the T.V.  a worried look on her face. None of this was really a surprise this happened almost everyday, and almost everyday I have had this same argument with Wally. 

"Absolutely not." I replied immediately, already knowing what he wanted to do. He was young, and felt invincible. I knew the feeling, which was exactly why I would never allow him to do it until I was completely sure he was ready. There were only so many demons I could carry. 

"This is my chance I can do this." Wally pleaded, he was so eager. Which that alone was reason enough not to let him go. Not let him test the waters. We would have to start him off slowly, with smaller threats that didn't cause much damage. "Let me go after him."

"You're not ready."

Wally ran his hands through his hair in frustration, shaking his head. "I can do this. I know I can."

"Diane's right Wally." Iris stated as she placed a comforting hand on her brother's shoulder. "You need more time. The Rival is too strong... too dangerous."

"Which is exactly why I have to stop him."

I stood up and went to the closet to retrieve the box that Francisco Ramon had given me the other day. Everyone looked at the box in my hands with curiosity as I set it on the counter and motioned Wally to open it. The second he lifted the lid, Wally face light up as he pulled the yellow and red suit out.