02: No, Kendall, No

Start from the beginning

"No way!"

I chuckled and led her into the building. "That's my baby." When I walked in, I was instantly bombarded with tons of little kids all around Royalty's age. She'd already let me know she didn't want any pictures taken, so was this where I was supposed to leave?

She grabbed my hand and walked me into a bigger room with multiple color patterns on the floor, walls, and cubbys. "You have to meet Mrs. Livingston with me, Daddy. And then you go." 

         My heart dropped when I heard the last name but I overlooked it. Luna wouldn't be caught dead in here with all these little kids, she hated kids. Knowing her she was probably somewhere at The New York Times or something, fulfilling her dreams. 

I walked around the corner and greeted who I remembered as Kendall. "Hey, bro. Long time no see. I take it this is Royalty?" He asked, smiling down at her. "Where's Mrs. Livingston?" Royalty asked sadly.

Kendall sighed and looked down. "She's a little sick right now, babygirl, so me and my cousins are going to be filling in for her for a minute. I hope that's okay." 

"Sick, sick? Or just sick?" She asked. I waited for the answer because I genuinely wanted to know as well. Kendall began to pace back and forth in the little entryway. "Let's just say, she's sick and could use our well wishes, okay, Royalty? Now let's get you in your group while Dad fills out some papers." She nodded. "Okay, bye, Daddy! Don't forget my waffles!"

I leaned down to kiss her forehead and let her go as she ran somewhere in the back of the room. I looked back up to meet Kendall's side eye. "What's up, how you been?" I asked, reaching for the papers I was supposed to sign. 

        He sucked his teeth. "Let's not pretend that were friends. You know why I don't wanna talk to you either." I sighed. "I didn't do anything wrong, Kendall. But this isn't the time for that. Anyways, how is Mrs. Lisa? She's sick?" I continued to sign my name onto the many consent forms. I was looking to hear how she had a common cold or something, but his response knocked me off my feet.

"She has stage four cancer. There's a great chance she won't make it. Hell, it's inevitable." I looked at him shocked out of my mind. Lisa was always so energetic and strong and healthy. How could this happen? And how was Luna taking it?

The way Kendall said it, it's as if he had already accepted it, but you could still see he was still hurt. I remember how Luna told me that her mom had took Kendall in when he was 12, after he began to feel as if he was gay. She accepted him as her own, when his own parents didn't. This had to be hard on him as well.

"Damn, I'm sorry to hear that, bro. I'll be praying for her each and everyday." He nodded his head. "We really appreciate that. I just don't know how were supposed to get through this right after the loss of Uncle Mike too. The family's really going through it, but we got each other, so we'll be alright."

It was like another punch to the gut to hear that not only was her mother terminally ill, but her dad had died too. Regardless of our relationship status, I needed to make sure she was okay. 

      "What's Luna's number, bro?"

Luna Livingston

           I threw the pizza rolls into the microwave and waited on them to cook. I'd decided to keep my condo since Mother insisted nobody treat her any different than before we found out about her illness. I had all my things in boxes already, in case she changed her mind, including the box I'd filled with my old work items. 

I'd spent the day filling out for other writing jobs, such as newspaper gigs, magazine internships, and other publishing jobs. A piece of me didn't want to go to another publishing place, but if it paid the bills, than okay.

Until I heard back from someone, I was stuck watching the kids at Tumbling Tots on the days that Kendall didn't want to. He'd called me earlier saying he needed to come over and talk about the day. I'm going to go ahead and take a guess that he'll be going back to the salon tomorrow and I'll be filling in. 

    I removed the pizza rolls from the microwave and placed them on a plate when my phone began to vibrate. The number was unknown so I didn't answer. I just didn't have the time for telemarketers. 

No, I don't need any new car insurance. 

No, I don't need a vacation package.

And, no, I know I did not win a vacation package.

I declined the call and went to the door as I heard a knock. I stood on my tippy-toes and looked through the peak-hole to see Kendall standing on the other side, obviously annoyed. "Open the door! I know you see me!" He snapped.

I giggled and opened the door. "Hey, cousin. How was your day?" He pointed to the white substances on his shirt. "It was hell! But in an okay way cause all of the kids were cute." He snatched one of the pizza rolls off my plate and popped it into his mouth.

     "Ouch! This is hot!" He exclaimed. I snickered and cleared some of my laundry off the loveseat so he could sit with me. "Were the kids nice?" I listened for his answer, but was interrupted by the unknown number calling my phone once again. 

"Ugh! These telemarketers suck!" I said, declining the call once again. 

"That's Chris." Kendall said smoothly. He looked away when he said it though.

My heart sunk when I heard the name. I'd been thinking about him ever since I found the picture in the bottom of my desk, but he'd moved on with his life. I needed to do the same.

"C-C-Chris who?" I stammered, playing with the ends of my curly hair. "Your Chris. He asked for your number when he dropped his little girl off today." My eyes bulged out of my head. 

Chris' daughter goes to Tumbling Tots?

Chris wanted my number?

Kendall gave him my number?!

All I remember is hitting Kendall's lanky arm. "Why'd you give it to him? You should've asked me, Kendall." "But you know you wanted to speak to him as well, Luna."

I sighed and dropped my head into my hands.

It wasn't as if he'd cheated on me when his daughter was conceived, but after I'd lost my baby, it just hurt that he'd moved on so quickly. I don't know if that's something a phone call or any amount of distance and time could fix. 

Chris in the MM. Please leave comments letting me know what you think!

-Alexis.