Chapter 2 The Lady

Start from the beginning

Working together they fed the chickens, collected the eggs, slopped the pig and milked the cow while they waited for the bread to bake. "We can milk the cow again after we change the linens at the hotel then come back to the hotel to do the laundry. Jake and Freddy didn't do their chores again."

"I'm so tired of doing everything," Amanda groaned.

"I'll fill the hay cart, you get the oats. Emeleth took the pitchfork and filled the cart with hay. The hay was stored in the hay loft so she simply tossed it onto the cart from above. Amanda dragged a heavy sack of oats to the cart and it took both of them to lift it into the cart. With both of them pushing the cart they walked around the parameter of the paddock and scooped grain into the grain troths and hay into the hay cribs. There were six of the troths and cribs around the paddock. The horses busied themselves eating the oats. The sisters worked the water pump together to top off the horses water troth. They split wood for the stove and put the breakfast of eggs, bacon and thick slices of bread in a basket. They had kept the meal covered with two plates on the stove to keep it warm. They had two dozen of their gathered eggs in their other basket, They planned to sell the eggs at the grocery and dry goods store. They put on their bonnets and set out.

"Why the extra food Em?"

"The sheriff."

"You sweet on Matt?"

"Amanda! I'm just being nice." Never the less she felt her cheeks warm. Amanda laughed at her now blushing sister.

"When we get enough egg money you should get yourself a pair of shoes and maybe a dress that fits, Em."

"Got my Sunday shoes, they're good enough. We have saved a tidy sum with our egg money."

Amanda sighed. "I'm afraid Pa will find it and drink it away."

"I keep it hid good. After we feed Pa we can check on the twins then walk over to the hotel." They sold the eggs and then walked to the jail. "Looks like a big herd of cattle just came down main street to the train yards, the place will be crawling with cowboys by tonight." They walked into the jail. "I got breakfast for my Pa and brought you some too Matt," Emeleth said.

"Thank you Miss Em, Miss Manda, but you didn't have too go through all that bother.".

"It's our pleasure."

"You're Pa's real upset. He says you locked him out of 'his' house again."

"I sure did. He came home drunk. Pa's a mean drunk and I won't let him touch Manda."

"What about you? Who takes care of you?"

"He's learned not to try and beat me like he did Ma. I won't be putting up with it!"

"Is that my ugly little shrew of a daughter I hear?" William, her father shouted.

"Yes Pa. I brought you breakfast." The sheriff open the door to the holding cell and Emeleth walked in with serene grace. Her lips were pursed tight. She adjusted her spectacles by pushing them up by the nose bridge then lifting her chin and pasting on a smile for her father offered the plate with breakfast.

"I ought to wring your scrawny little neck, girl."

"Then you and the twins will most likely starve to death." Emeleth schooled her face to hide her fear and forced herself to maintain eye contact.

"Amanda can take over, she's a biddable woman. And unlike you," William added with a sneer, "right pretty too."

"Do you want breakfast?"

"Take that shit away. It ain't fit for the pig."

"Suit yourself, Pa." So turning away she left the room.

"I wouldn't let that little witch near your gun, she might get it into her head to shoot you," William shouted to Matt. "She's a hellion, locked me out of my own house!"

"I won't let him out until he's sober," Matt said softly. "Will you be okay?"

"He'll be all contrite and full of apologies by then. We'll be fine. I'll leave the food in case hunger wins over anger,"

"I saw the twins over at the saloon a bit ago."

"Thank you Matt." Emeleth with Amanda in tow walked briskly to the saloon.

*******

The two sisters were a study in contrasts as they walked barefoot on the boardwalk. They garnered a lot of scrutiny from others on the boardwalk or passing on horseback. Men took notice of Amanda rather quickly and she received whistles and embarrassing cat calls. Emeleth also was subjected to stares and frowns and disapproving glances from many of the town's women. Amanda was tall, about five and a half feet. She had her bonnet off her head but still tied around her neck. Her long dark brown hair was nearly waist length. Her hair was curly and bounced as she walked. She had a shy smile and walked slightly stooped over and avoided eye contact.

Emeleth was just a mite short of five foot one. Her gait was purposeful and bold. Her back was ramrod straight, her chin up with her lips pursed tight. She greeted others on the boardwalk by name or with a nod maintaining firm eye contact. She walked with an ever so slight limp which no one noticed but of which she was painfully aware of. Both were dressed in clean but well-worn dresses. Amanda fit her dress well as Emeleth was quite skilled with a needle. Emeleth was wearing her white lace skull cap under her bonnet. A few wavy locks of her copper hair had escaped both the skull cap and bonnet. Using her right hand she shoved her unruly locks into her skull cap. They reached the saloon doors. Emeleth hesitated, straightened her thick round spectacles, pursed her lips even tighter and then Emeleth boldly walked in. Manda paused outside the door.