Kokichi's Love Story

If someone had told Kokichi he would be happily marrying someone who loved him wholeheartedly and whom he loved wholeheartedly a few years ago, Kokichi would've laughed at them. In fact, if someone had told Kokichi he would even marry, much less fall in love, Kokichi would've laughed at them and then flipped them off.

Well, he would've. He couldn't possibly do that now.

Kokichi never took himself as an emotional person, sure he loved to exaggerate his feelings and make a show of himself for the fun of it, but his heart was usually calm and felt nothing. Or he was the opposite, his beloved has told him many times that the more emotional Kokichi feels, the more blank his expression becomes. It was one or the other, and the only time when Kokichi's expressions matched his feelings is when he's alone and sure that no one is watching.

Now, Kokichi was positively embarrassed with how his eyes stung from the tears threatening to run down his face much like how he so wanted to run down the aisle to tackle-hug his beloved.

.

It was in the spring of his first year that Kokichi met him. At first glance, the emo boy seemed so plain and boring that Kokichi almost slapped him to make his stupid emo hat fly off at 100 kilometers per hour. Maybe if he was lucky, he'd snap the boring guy's neck as well. Kokichi would've pat himself on the back as he was cuffed and thrown in jail because he did the world a good thing by ridding it of such a boring character.

Of course, Kokichi wasn't about to devastate his future by murdering someone at first glance, so he simply walked up to the fidgeting emo and snatched his hat off, eliciting a quite satisfying reaction. The boy sputtered in surprise, and shockingly, he had the gall to glare at Kokichi. Needless to say, Kokichi was very, very, very excited to see that maybe Kokichi had judged the boy wrong. Maybe the boy wouldn't be that boring after all! Good thing Kokichi didn't murder him! Not that he would, but it's the thought that counts!

Kokichi had laughed at the boy, and despite Kokichi being significantly shorter than him, the boy wasn't able to snatch his hat back. Kokichi gave the hat back when he found out he and the emo were in the same class for that semester, and the boy had pouted and made a disgruntled noise, pulling his hat close to his head and peeking his beautiful golden irises out from under it, observing Kokichi.

Maybe that was when Kokichi began to develop an interest in the boy.

Shuichi Saihara was his name, Kokichi later found out during attendance. Shuichi had sat in his seat, slumped on his desk and almost nodding off a few times as if he didn't get enough sleep. Kokichi never really realized how serious Shuichi's eye bags were until he snatched the hat off again and studied the boy's face while it was in plain view.

Some boisterous dude named Kaito Momota had ruined Kokichi's fun by picking Kokichi up by the arms and forcing Kokichi to struggle fruitlessly as Rantaro Amami pried Shuichi's hat off his hands, but it was whatever. Kokichi got revenge by hiding Kaito's pants after gym class and scribbling harmless doodles on Rantaro's binder in obnoxious glitter. Kaito had chased Kokichi around the track field for a good while in his gym shorts. Rantaro had chuckled at Kokichi's doodles. He told Kokichi that he was a good artist. Kokichi had huffed, resigning himself to coming up with a better prank to get him back.

Meanwhile, Shuichi had just sat there baffled at Kokichi's pettiness. Kokichi could tell he was completely exasperated, but if Shuichi had a problem with him, Shuichi would have to voice his concerns to Kokichi directly, not glare at Kokichi from across the room.

Kokichi continued to toy with Shuichi for the fun of it, and at some point, even indirectly helped Shuichi hook up with his first crush, Kaede Akamatsu. Of course, maybe the relationship wasn't meant to be because they broke up a few months afterward. Apparently, while both held respect for one another, they preferred their relationship as friends instead of lovers. Too awkward or something.