Chapter Eight-A second long night

Start from the beginning

"Like that TV show".

"American Horror Story: Freakshow is a cross between all different horror stories. You see those killer clown pranks on YouTube; you see 'Killer Klowns from Outer Space'? Really scary from 1988. You don't need to deal with that phobia...unless the guy comes with an axe...or butcher knife...and go Norman Bates on you...".

"And how can we stop him?".

"By making the sorority safe. No boyfriends".

"I don't have one. I'm not sexy".

"Hey, don't be stupid. You want to eat with me?".

"Yes!".

And we checked on the other girls...before Zara slit her wrists. Or hanged herself. Or turned psycho herself, and murdered us with an axe.

***

Zara calmed down.

She wanted to scream.

She was just swearing.

That's all.

But the old bitch House Mother was a psycho, herself.

And she had had to do what was needed to survive.

Zara glanced around.

A poker was near the warm fireplace. A modern grille protected it from wildfires. Sometimes she'd run out of the building when the flames at home was too much to handle; sometimes the flames were so intense she let the Louisiana Fire Department to do their jobs; sometimes she'd wish the old bitch would burn...

...And she grabbed the poker in her right hand...and started to stab into the dorm doors until she could see holes in it...and she could drop the weapon...and open the room up. Then she imagined stabbing the old bitch in the forehead...until she saw her bleed.

***

I grabbed the axe.

It was great to hold it.

I'd chopped wood with Dad and his hunting buddies. It was there that I saw Elspeth, The Woodsgirl; I was sure you know of her, too.

Frankly, it is an old legend.

I smashed the door.

The blade cut deep into Zara's body. Blood splattered everywhere.  And, when she died, the horror ended the sideshow...

...And, for us, the terror ended...

...But not before I saw the killer's face in the window outside...with the bloody butcher knife in his right hand, in the afternoon sun.

***

After the incident, the cops came.

And the Sheriff.

It was dark now.

They were here for hours...

...A lot of fucking hours...

...And I knew I wouldn't swear too much in front of the House Mother. Because she was screaming; she was upset; she was...

...And she was talking rapidly to them...

***

Mom spoke to me on her I-phone 6.

"I hope they...".

"They're doing a CSI on the sorority house. They knew what they wanted; they knew what they needed; they knew...".

"And now?", she asked.