1

I don't like your perfect crime. How you laugh when you lie.
____________________

THERE IS nothing like at the sweet sound of victory when your victim hollers as he slips away. The only thing better than the kill is the thrill of the game. The blood pumping in your veins, urging you to take another go...

I slammed the old notebook shut. That was enough for today. Sometimes I wonder why I even bother to read the words of a dead man, even if that dead man happens to be my dad. The great and powerful Shan Yu who wanted to take over China... killed by fireworks, the very thing that makes people go ooh and ahh.

How very amusing.

I jumped down from my hammock and started rummaging for the cans of soup I stole last night. Chicken soup, cause vegetable soup burns the back of my throat. I removed my knife from the scabbard strapped to my waist and forced the can open in seconds.

Grinning, I drank up the whole can and wiped my mouth on my dirty sleeve. Then I grabbed hold of my sack, swung it over my shoulder and left my humble home- long pieces of cloth hung on a line to cover up a corner of the alleyway.

It was no secret that I lived there, however. The second I step out, the buzz of the streets get louder. I causally strolled through countless alleyways, so narrow that it was nearly impossible for two people to pass by each other. I heard a woman whisper.

"The Isle orphan is coming."

I liked the nickname they have given me. Everyone's here because of their parents. Mine are dead. How unique that makes me and how afraid that makes them. All the better to my advantage.

I made my way to the small store near the shore. People eyed me when I got near. I smirked slightly at them, then turned my attention to the old man behind the counter. I threw my sack down and growled at him.

"I think you owe me something." I said, knowing full well that I have never set foot in here before.

I could tell by the uneasy and confused look on his face that he didn't fully understand who I was.

I guess I had to make the point.

I pulled out my knife and stabbed it on the countertop. The poor man jumped and staggered back, shocked at the sudden violent move. They gasped at the sight of such a finely crafted knife. Things as beautiful as this aren't allowed on the Isle.

He gulped. "I- uh."

"A nice ham sandwich would do." I said, glaring at the rest of the customers.

The man scrambled to hand me a sandwich and I smiled at him, satisfied. He looked at my knife, standing straight up on the wooden counter.

"Oh my bad." I said as I pulled it out and walked away with my sandwich, leaving my sack on the floor, "There're five cans of vegetable soup in there. You can have it."

I undid the wrapping just a few feet outside the hut and was about to take my first bite when someone swung from above and snatched it out of my hands.

My eyes darted upwards and saw a young dark haired boy land perfectly behind the rails of the saggy building next to me.

The son of Jafar. Why am I not surprised?

"Hey!" I shouted.

Obnoxious and rude, he completely ignored me, let go of the rope he swung from and took the sandwich into his mouth. After nodding in approval of my sandwich, he finally looked down at me and waved.

Seriously?

"Isle orphan right?" He shouted, words muffled due to the bread in this mouth.

I rolled my eyes.

"I like your vest." He continued, "Tryna copy my look?"

"I barely know you." I answered, "And no I don't care what your name is. But I do care about my sandwich."

"It's a good sandwich."

"Great to know." I said sarcastically.

He laughed and looked down on me. "You clearly have not been here. I snatch food out of people's hands for lunch in front of this store."

I had enough and began to walk away. There was no use arguing anyways. The shape of my knife against my thigh made me feel a little more sure of myself.

I headed back to my quarters with the plan of having another can of chicken soup for lunch when someone grabbed me roughly by the shoulders.