Chapter Three • Crystals

Comincia dall'inizio

Then surely he wouldn't have allowed me to drop out in the last semester of my final year, he wouldn't have let four years of my life go to waste, his resounding slap on my cheek and a slice of his whip on my back would be enough to knock some sense into me and get that stupid idea out of my head. Which brings us to the fact that if all that had happened, the stupid Cessna 172 wouldn't have crashed with me and I would have never been blind.

It just felt like every brick on the wall, every tile on the floor, was snickering and taunting me. Well, well, well guess now your blind ass doesn't think it's too good for us, does it?

It was hard to keep my head straight and my brain sane through the several agonizing moments before I felt Harrison pull me to a stop.

"So this is our classroom." Faceless yet still hot, Asiya Haroona announces. "It's a thirty by thirty meters wide space with white washed walls, four windows, two on each adjacent wall, twelve benches and an extra bench for the supervisors, and then finally two doors, one for the entrance where we came in and one to the lavatory at the opposite end of the wall."

Thanks to that statement, I was able to build a replica of the said room in my head and figured I was still in possession of my imagination, just not the imagining an attractive woman side of it. Yay me.

"Cool," I nod my head trying to look impressed. "thanks Miss or is it Mrs Haroona?" was I trying to shoot my shot? Yes, definitely. I'm a recently dumped guy that hasn't seen a hot face, or any face for that matter, in more than two months so cut me some slack already.

"It's Miss and please just call me Asiya."

Commence imaginary victory dance. She just grew ten times hotter. Again, cut me some slack, my emotions are still in the post breakup mode.

"And you, please call me Ahmad." there's a wide smile on my face as I put my RayBans back on.

"Alright then Ah-Ahmad," she sounds nervous again and I can't help but wonder why. "we'll see you Monday, I hope?"

"Sure, yeah." I feel Harrison turn the wheels and start wheeling me backwards, she must've started heading out and he followed after her.

This wasn't so bad, it actually seems less like a punishment to spend the next three months here all thanks to the owner of this angelic voice walking somewhere in front of me. I couldn't stop myself from wondering what the sight of her behind must look like and what a glorious sight it was I missing out on but Harrison the lucky bastard was getting the full view of. Sigh.

She probably was dressed in the Hausa girl usual of black abayas or if she wasn't like Farida, which I hope and pray that she isn't, it's a colourful ankara outfit and a veil. I just hope she's nothing like Far, don't wanna make the same mistake twice.

I was wheeled through annoying chatters of university kids and though I couldn't see, I was sure I was sure a fair amount of them were giving me the stares. Not the flirty googly eyed stares I was used to, but the curious and judgy stares my wheelchair and the cast on my leg would have attracted.

But that just made me realize that getting my leg broken was sorta a blessing in disguise since if not cause of this wheelchair, I would have been sauntering with a seeing stick in hand and it would have been clear that these retro RayBans weren't only on my face cause I was one of those douches that wore shades indoors, but because I was blind.