Chapter 7: Awakened

Start from the beginning

"Do you know how we can get out of here?" I asked. I noticed how Connor's expression shifted to one of despair, to one of purpose. It seemed that doing tasks was something he had been created to do.

His eyes scanned our surroundings, taking in the piles of vacant bodies, the abandoned articles, the discarded viewing devices. It was clear in his expression that he wanted to have a closer look, but first, he was focused on finding an exit.

After peering around the room for some time, I was surprised when he looked up towards the ceiling. He pointed, but as I squinted, I still saw nothing.

"Up there," He whispered. I was blinded by the darkness, but he seemed to see everything. He took my hand firmly in his own, and led me through the dark maze. I clasped onto him, thankful for someone to guide me. Finally, we reached another beam, one more wider than the one he had been leaning against. As if he knew automatically what to do, he placed a hand on the beam, and a control panel slid forward from the metal. He spoke in a voice entirely different from his own.

"Agent 54. Permission to access elevator?"

"Voice recognition validated," A robotic voice responded, and the panel disappeared back into the wall, replacing itself with a metal doorway.

"I knew it..." Connor whispered, and I gaped at him in awe.

"How did you know to do that?"

"Even though the time has changed, the access permissions were never removed. I'm guessing whoever created this did not anticipate that any humans with permission would be here to ask for authority." I was very confused by his words, but I didn't question as he pulled me onto the elevator.

Inside the elevator, I took in a panel with a directory, and the code of numbers against the wall. There was up to a hundred floors in this building. Deciding on which floor to go to would be the difficult choice.

"Connor...?" I began to ask, and he pushed for the first floor.

"Let's at least get above ground first," He said, and I stumbled forward as the elevator began to move. I felt dizzy once more as we made our way to the surface. Through the glass wall of the elevator, dirt and metal rushed past me. I leaned onto Connor as my head spun. I watched the numbers flash past at the top of the elevator, indicating that we were steadily reaching the surface. Just as my stomach was beginning to ease, the elevator lurched to a sudden stop. I was thrown forward, but Connor caught my shoulder. We both looked up to the floor level above the door: Floor -15.

The door pinged open, and a servant boy stood there wearing a grey and blue uniform. He gaped in shock at us. The boy quickly took in my outfit, seeming to realize who I was. His hand flew to a button on his headpiece, and he began to speak in a hushed voice. Connor leapt forward, turning the boy and slamming him against the wall. In a quick move, the boy was unconscious.

"Come on," Connor called, grabbing my wrist and tugging me forward. I gasped, racing to keep up with his quick pace. We ran past various servants, many of them cooking or seemingly preparing for some kind of party. Humans shouted after us as we ran past. Eventually, we found a secluded area of the floor, a storage room, where we collapsed to catch our breath. Actually it was only me who needed to catch my breath; Connor wasn't even flustered.

"Everything has changed so much..." He murmured softly, his face contorted in sadness.

"We can't think about that now," I replied. "We have to get out of here, before the guards come."

"The guards?" Connor repeated, looking at me startled again. Before I could reply, the door of the storage room opened. Connor swore, turning to see who had discovered us this time.