Sowing Faith, Reaping Love - Chapter 7

Start from the beginning

That night after chores and dinner, Tanner, Julie and Tonya showered, got dressed and headed to the church for the party. They had heard that a new Youth Pastor was moving to town, but they had not met him yet and had no idea he would have a son their age. Nana had been excited when they asked to go to a gathering at church. Julie had always been active. But Tonya had only started going to church for the past few weeks. So, the news of the party pleased Nana to no end. It is all she talked about at dinner. Well, that and a large donation to the Shoebox for Soldiers Christmas campaign.

Fall was in the air, so the youth decided to have a bonfire in the back field of the church property. By the time Tanner, Julie and Tonya arrived, the marshmallows were coming out as a few pieces of wood were being thrown on the recently started flames. Tonya could see the moving boxes that were empty and labeled Kitchen, Brent’s Room and Living Room used to stoke the fire.

“Hey guys.” Brent came up to greet them. He gave Tanner a high five, nodded at Julie and he gave Tonya a hug. He would have hugged Julie too, he was a hugger, but he had this rule against hugging girls who had boyfriends. Especially boyfriends who were his friends.

“Hey.” They said in unison. Julie and Tanner walked over to say, ‘Hi’ to some people by the fire.

“I am glad you guys could make it.” Brent said with a smile to Tonya as they walked towards the fire.

“What are friends for?” Tonya said with a smile. She was playing with her fingers trying to keep them busy and not throw herself at Brent. He looked so cute in his jeans and blue sweater. The blue almost matched his eyes.

The group sat around the fire roasting marshmallows, hot dogs and drinking hot cider and soda. Tonya, Brent, Tanner and Julie were laughing, having a good time when a man approached them. Everyone knew immediately that this was Brent’s dad. He was an older version of his son. “Hi guys!” He said as he approached.

“Hey Dad, let me introduce you to some of my friends.” Brent went around and introduced the trio. “Guys this is my dad Rick. Most people call him Pastor Rick.”

“Hi Pastor Rick,” they said.

“Are you kids having fun?” He asked.

“Yes sir.” Tanner answered. The girls nodded.

“Well, I am glad Brent is making some friends at school. And I hope to see you all Sunday morning at Sunday School.”

“Wouldn’t miss it.” Julie said with a smile.

“Well, you kids have fun.” He said as he moved on to another group clustered around the fire.

“I’m gonna go get a soda.” Julie said, “Anyone want anything?”

“I’ll go with you.” Tanner said. “Maybe I will see something I can’t live without.” He said with a wink.

Of course there were whispers, Tonya was almost use to it by now. But, Brent wasn’t. He had heard the rumors, but he didn’t care. She had told him what she was comfortable telling him and Tonya had always treated him nice, yet he could tell she had up a wall. He hated the fact that so called Christians were so judgemental and did not want to give those that had changed a second chance.

“I’m sorry.” Tonya said. He could tell she was upset and trying to hide her emotions. Something he noticed she was good at.

“You have nothing to be sorry about. You have done nothing.”

“I have, but I am working to change. I have asked God and my family to forgive me. They have. I am working to forgive myself. But, everyone else keeps wanting to throw my mistakes in my face.” It was dark, but Brent was sure that Tonya had a tear drop down her face. “Sometimes I wonder if it would have been easier to move back to New York with my parents. I mean, that is where everything started, but, sometimes I wonder if a big city would be easier.”

“I wish there was something I could do to make things better.” Brent said as he scooted closer to her.

“I think it would be best if you distanced yourself from me. I would feel horrible if your reputation was ruined because you were seen with me.”

“Why?”

“What?” Tonya said with a puzzled look on her face.

“Why? Why give them the satisfaction?” Brent shook his head as he whispered to her. “I thought you were stronger than that.”

Tonya looked shocked at him and she stood up and walked away. It took him a couple of minutes to find her in the parking lot next to Tanner’s truck.

“I’m sorry.” Brent said as he walked up and hugged her. Tonya began to cry but pulled away and turned to stare out in the distance away from the fire.

“You have no idea how hard it is to walk the hallways and have people whisper and call you a slut and whore... and those are the nice things. Knowing you are trying to change. Knowing that you could very easily fall back into your old ways.” Tonya took a deep breath like she was debating saying something or not. Then she went on. “Then...then you come along. This guy I would have dated in a heartbeat. You have no idea how hard it is for me to push you away. Yet, they keep coming at me.” Tonya hung her head in shame. She didn’t want to tell Brent all of that. She liked him, but could never be in a relationship with him. His dad was a PASTOR!! She was damaged goods.

“Tonya.” Brent said stroking her back. “I don’t care what others say about you or me. Right now, we are friends. And actually it is no ones business what we are, except for us.”

“You can say you don’t care. But, after awhile of the whispers, it will get to you too.”

“No, it won’t.”

“How do you know?” Tonya said finally looking up at him.

“Because I have lived through this before.”

“What? Dated a slut?”

“No.” He laughed. “I have been to several churches and trust me, they always look at preacher’s kids through a magnifying glass and I am not perfect.” He laughed again and it made Tonya want to know how he was not perfect. Brent continued “I have found that if they don’t gossip about one thing, it will be another. So, I don’t let it get to me anymore.”

“I should be use to it by now. I normally have my defences up at school and whenever I see Heath. But, I was not expecting it at church.”

“Well, you shouldn’t expect it anywhere, but here especially. But, church people are not perfect and unfortunately sometimes they gossip. It’s wrong and it should not happen. But sadly, it does.” He took a deep breath. “You know, in the Bible it says, ‘He who is without sin, cast the first stone.’”

“Yeah, I know. But, tell them that.” And Tonya motioned back towards the bonfire.

“Well, they can try and tell you who you are.” Brent said as he turned her to face him. “Or you stand up and show them exactly who you're going to be.”

========================

If you like it...please vote, comment (and tell me what you like...don't like or have questions about), and please add to your library so others will see it too!!