Sowing Faith, Reaping Love - Chapter 6

Chapter 6

Tanner had never had an adult, parent or otherwise to care for him. But, Charlie seemed to genuinely care for his well being. One Saturday, Charlie asked Tanner to go with him. They were going to a horse auction. Charlie bred horses, but he also would keep his eye out for a good horse at these auctions. This was the first time Tanner had been invited to go.

For Charlie, this was a time to spend one on one time getting to know Tanner better. He knew what Tanner had told him of his past, and what Julie had said, and more importantly, he knew Tanner's character. But, he had also gotten a letter this week that may change things and he wanted to talk to Tanner about it away from the farm and away from Julie!

When they first arrived at the auction, they went to the corral to check the horses over. Many of the horses would be in there showing what they could do. Charlie was getting this horse for breeding. So, he wanted to see if it had good lines and muscle structure. He also wanted a young horse, no more than four years old. After spotting a couple of prospective purchases. The horses would be later moved to the stalls so they could be checked out more closely.

"Buying a horse is a lot like buying a car," Charlie said. "You find out as much as you can, but really only take what you can see at face value." Charlie bent to pull up a hoof of one of the horses that caught his eye in the corral. "Look here Tanner," Charlie was motioning to the hoof of the animal. "You see this horse looked great in the corral. He also looked great on paper. It is here that the rubber meets the road so to speak. This horse is hiding something. Shin splints." Charlie said as he put the hoof back down and walked away.

"How could you tell?"

"Well, the legs really gave it away. He has been working too hard. And I don't want a working horse. He is ticketed as a breeding horse. When I picked up his leg, I felt the knot on the inside. Because the knot is warm, that told me that the horse is in pain from the shin splints. They really need to be treated."

Tanner looked over his shoulder as they moved down the stalls to the next horse trying to see what Charlie had seen.

"Now this horse. What do you think Tanner?"

Tanner walked up one side and down the other patting and stroking the horse. He talked to the horse calmly, something Julie had taught him to do. Charlie chuckled knowing it was something Julie often did, because he had taught her when she started to ride as a little girl. "Always know your horse." He had said. Then Tanner lifted each leg like he had seen Charlie do. He did not feel any bumps and he placed the hoofs down. When the horses had been in the corral, this was the one that Tanner was drawn to. He really liked the look and now seeing it up close, he marveled at the size and build. "I like it." Tanner said.

"Good." Charlie said with a smile. "Now the fun part. Getting him at a good deal.

The auction had started and Charlie and Tanner stood off to one side of the fence. The horse they were bidding on would not come up for a while and Charlie thought this was as good a time as any to talk to Tanner about the letter.

"Tanner, when was the last time you talked to your parents?"

Tanner tensed up. He could talk to Julie about his family and the way he grew up, but it was easy talking to Julie. "Umm. My dad. I don't know, a couple of years. I have not seen him since he was put in jail. My mom," Tanner looked away, like he was trying to find the answer in the distance. Squinting his eyes like the sun was hurting them, he said, "About a year. She did not want to see me before or after I went to juvie."

Charlie nodded. "Well, you know I think you are a great kid. You treat Julie with respect and that I appreciate. I could not imagine you not being on our farm. And honestly, you are like family."