Sowing Faith, Reaping Love - Chapter 7

Mulai dari awal

“It’s OK. I normally don’t judge people by what others say. I have found that if someone is so willing to gossip about a person, what do they say about me behind my back?”

“Good judgement, I like that.” Tonya said with a smile. “I am meeting my cousin and her boyfriend for lunch. Would you like to join us?”

“Hmmm eat lunch by myself in a corner on my first day in a new school, or join a pretty girl? Oh the decisions” Brent said with a twinkle in his eye. “Sure! I would love to join ya’ll.”

Brent fit right in with the group. He was funny, cute, polite and everything a girl could dream of. And on Friday, after school, Tonya was talking to him while waiting for Julie and Tanner by the truck.

“Hey Tonya. I was wondering.”

“Yeah?”

Brent did not know why he was so nervous. He had asked girls out before, but he really liked Tonya, and did not care about the guys that whispered behind her back and to her face. “I was wondering if, you would like to go out sometime?”

“Umm.” Tonya didn’t know what to say. Normally, it would be YES! And she was attracted to Brent, not to mention he was so cute. But, she needed to find herself and she wasn’t sure she could or would if she turned to another guy on the long list of guys just to get that moment of gratification, Tonya could not live with it anymore. “Brent, I don’t want you to take this the wrong way.” Brent was already taking it the wrong way she knew. She could read it in his face. “Wait. Don’t go jumping to conclusions. Please let me finish.”

Brent nodded. “Um. I really like you. And I have been through a lot recently. And I have this bad habit of doing things I shouldn’t and not facing the real issues. So, as much as I like you, and I would like to go out with you, right now, I am going to have to pass. And you have no idea how hard it is for me to say that.” Tonya said reaching out and touching Brent’s arm.

“I guess I understand.”

“Can we still be friends? I really like hanging out with you and talking to you.”

“Yeah, of course.” Brent said as he opened his arms and gave Tonya a hug. “What about a group thing?”

“Yeah, that would be great.” Tonya said with a smile on her face as she gently pulled away from Brent. It was really hard, she enjoyed being in his arms.

“Cool. There is this party that some kids are throwing to welcome me and my family to town tonight. I would like to see someone there that I know. Do you think you could come? Of course, Tanner and Julie can come too.”

“Sure. Um, can I ask you something?” Tonya looked puzzled.

“Yeah.”

“Who are you that they would throw you a welcome party?”

“Not me. My dad. He is the new youth pastor at church. And there are suppose to be a lot of kids coming and stuff.”

Tonya could not help it, she laughed. “A PK? Preacher’s Kid? You have got to be kidding me!”

“Why? What is the matter with being a PK?”

“Nothing. Just God’s sense of humor.”

“Well, he has one. But, I don’t understand what is going on?”

“It’s OK.” Tonya said laughing as Tanner and Julie walked up.

“What’s so funny?” Tanner asked.

“Nothing.” Tonya said. “Look, Brent just asked us to a party tonight. Are you guys game?”

“Sure.” Tanner and Julie said in unison.