Part 4

*6 YEARS LATER*
----------------------

"Red!"

She rolled her eyes and trudged over to her big brother. "What is it now?"

"Go check on Mother."

"I just did."

"Well go again. I can hear her coughing."

"Fine." She walked to the house, and quietly entered. Seeing her mother with a rag on her forehead, a red face, and sweat falling down her head, it was too much to take in. She would stay with Jane constantly if she could, but it's very hard to watch her mother slowly drain away.

"Mother?"

Jane's eyes flew open at the sound of her daughter's voice.

"Liliana..."

"Shhh. It's alright. I just came to see how you were doing."

Jane gulped and closed her eyes again. "I'm..."

Liliana took the rag off of her mother's head to wash. Ringing the old, hot, water out, she then dipped it into the water bucket. Cold water dripping off, she folded it and placed it softly back on Jane's forehead. "There." She said under her breath.

Jane smiled. "I'm not going to make it." She muttered, her eyes still closed.

Tears forming in her eyes, Liliana shook her head. "No... you will. You'll make it Mother."

"Get Spencer." Her breathe was slowing down.

Shaking her head and biting her lip, Liliana turned and ran out the door.

"Spencer?" She yelled.

He appeared from the garden, and seeing her face he immediately rushed to her.

"What happened?"

"She... wants you. Us."

Seeming to understand, his face turned white. Eyebrows going up, and eyes glazed, he absentmindedly walked into their house. Liliana followed, still crying. Wiping her eyes before going in, she braced herself for the worst.

When she opened the door, she saw Spencer holding Jane's hand in both of his, kneeling down beside her bed. She was barely breathing, but the sweat had disappeared.

Liliana leaned against the far wall, clutching her dress.

Jane seemed to be slipping away, the color draining from her face.

She forced out her last words with all of her strength. "Take..." Spencer perked up, swallowing hard. "Take care of her."

"I will Mother. I will. Don't worry, we'll be alright. Don't worry Mother. It's going to be alright."

Liliana knew he was really talking to himself, but it seemed to satisfy Jane, since a relaxed look crossed her face, and she went to sleep for the last time.

Spencer laid his head down on his mothers hand that he was still holding, muffled sobs escaping from his lips.

Liliana slid down the wall, her eyes big. Holding her knees against her chest, she buried her head in her arms.

"I will mother." Spencer kept saying. "I'll protect her."

Looking up, she saw Spencer kissing Jane's head, and lifting the sheet over her face. He then looked to Liliana, his eyes bloodshot red. "I'll go bury her with Father. Wait here."

He picked their mother's lifeless body up, and carried her out the door. Once he was gone, and the house was completely silent, Liliana looked at the cross necklace hanging around her neck, and wondered why everyone she cared about left her.

---------

"Ow!"

"What did you do now?"

"I got a splinter." Liliana said, sucking on her finger.

Sighing, Spencer walked over to her. Examining her, he announced, "You moron it's just dirt."

Making a face at him, she resumed work in the garden. "When are we going in for lunch?" She whined.

"When you grow us some food."

Liliana glared at Spencer and huffed her breath. Her dog came over to comfort his upset master. "Hello sterling." She said.

"I still don't know why you chose such a ridiculous name for a dog."

She smiled a little. "I just really like the name."

"It's stupid."

"Well so is you calling me Red!"

"Nah, it's just fun annoying you."

"Well thanks to you everyone does. You ruined my life."

"Stop being so dramatic. If you can finish that then maybe we can eat so stop talking so much."

"I can work while I talk."

"Then show me."

"I will." She snapped back. Bickering had become a simple way of expressing their love for each other, that only they could understand.

After she finished weeding and picking the food, she went inside to prepare it. Spencer came in a few minutes after her, covered in dirt.

"I can't find water anywhere." He announced, breathing heavily. After digging all day for a well, he was exhausted.

"Well this is almost ready, ad we can talk about it over supper." Liliana replied.

Nodding, he went out the door and sat on the grass outside the door. Looking around, he saw how hopeless it was to stay here. One more storm and the house would fall over, not to mention the water problem. He had been working tirelessly for three days, and didn't find a single drop.

He then cast his eyes on their garden. Liliana didn't have much of a green thumb, but it wasn't completely her fault that nothing was growing. The soil was worn out, but they couldn't afford to start over completely.

Standing up and sticking his hands into his oversized pockets, he walked to the clearing where his parents and grandparents lay beneath him. Leaning against a tree, he let out a breath he hadn't realized he had been holding.

Scrunching up his nose and looking to the sky, he held back tears. Closing his eyes and letting his head fall, he decided on one thing to keep his sister alive.