Chapter 03: Friend

"Kei Hanata has been with me ever since we were four years old. We met in school. Kei always was the type to always have the spotlight rest on him. I never questioned him though. Not that I didn't care about my only best friend at the time. I was dealing with my own problems back then. Kei and Hotaru always were picking fights. I even butted in once and then I got laughed at for weeks. People started bullying me because of my snow-like hair. Kei told me to not worry. And the same day he dyed his hair white as mine, too. I felt special to him.

-Flashback-

"Shiro, what's wrong?" The older kid asked the younger boy. Sniffles came from the young boy as he gradually wipes his tears away.
"They are calling me 'demon kid' again." Shiro remarked.
"Oh come on! Let's just go home and forget about this, okay?"
"Oh okay."
The two boys walked together and shared stories before they arrive home.

"What in the world?!"Shiro yelled at his best friend, Kei.
Kei chuckled awkwardly as he pat his own head in regret already.
"You like it?" He asked with a sweat rolling down his forehead.
"You....you-you.. Did this for me?"
"Uh, yes. My mom likes you, so she didn't mind when I told her about it. To be honest, she told me to do it."
Shiro looked at him in disbelief. He walked over to Kei. Stared at his white hair. Then he hugged him tightly.
"Can't breath." Kei said between breaths.
"Thank you."

-End of flashback-

When I was with him, I felt at home. Not a feeling I would compare to how I felt when I was with my parents. This feeling was different. He made me feel happy. His goofy personality stood out the most. I didn't really mind when he started to "hang" out with the school's bully, Hotaru. I was happy for him, but I didn't trust and like Hotaru much. When Kei and Hotaru started to go on play dates. I didn't think of it as much. Then he talked to me less and less. Till we weren't as best of friends anymore. I got so messed up in my mind. I started waking up in the night. The traumatic night came back to me. The first night it happened, I broke some things of grandma Fuyu. Miss Hiyori got angry at first, but then she comforted me. The panic attacks got worse when Kei left me.
Grandma Fuyu did some rituals on me for hours. Mornings we would wake up very early to begin with them. I was scared to tell to anyone else. Fearing that they will continue to call the demon kid of the school. Miss Hiyori decided to live with grandma Fuyu. I didn't mind. Grandma Fuyu was very kind and I felt like she liked me very much. They looked after me like their own. They made it official by adopting me. I just told the judge that I'm an orphan. The same thing I told miss Hiyori. Or else they would've wanted to ask my parents for permission. I didn't want that. I hated them now. I didn't want anything to do with them. My eyes opened when they left me. And I learned a lot at such a young age. My best friend started bullying me along with the school bully. I never expected that from the Kei that I knew. I tried making new friends, but none of them were temporary. Except for one special one. How we met is kind of stupid.

*Narrator laughs*

"Shiro! Don't forget your lunch box! It's on the dining table!" Grandma Fuyu shouted from her room. She is sick today. I felt bad for leaving her on her own, but miss Hiyori said that I must go to school. And grandma agreed, too, so I couldn't do anything about it.
"Yes, thank you, grandma. I'm going now. Bye." I shouted back from downstairs.
'I can buy her some meds today after school. I have to remember. And some soup and her favorite tea. She loves Oolong.'
"Hurry up, Shiro. You're gonna be late. Come quick." I broke out of my trans as miss Hiyori called me. I sped up my running pace and jumped in her car. I buckled up my seatbelt and smiled at miss Hiyori. She did too.
"Ready for your first day of school?"
I nodded continuously. She laughed and we drove off.

Today is the first day of school. I'm six now. I don't know what my class schedule is yet and my teacher, so I'm waiting till the principal of Aki school to assign everyone to their classes. When I got my class schedule. I immediately sprinted to my classroom. I got glares from all the others when I arrived at the entrance. I stepped in the classroom.
"I'm sorry for the wait, miss. I got my schedule rather later than the others." She looked at me in full disgust. And nodded.
"You can sit in the back there. Have a window seat." She pointed way in the back. I bowed to show honorifics and speed walked to my seat. The whole entire lesson I could've sworn I felt like someone watching me. I didn't mind much thinking it was just Kei, Hotaru and their gang. Plotting how to pester me in the break and after school. I noticed them since I came in.
Didn't care to show that I care about them. The rest of the day things went on pretty normal. At lunch break I went to the schools garden since not a lot of people like to eat here. Since I eat there and since they heard a rumor that I do witchcraft here, because of the sounds. Sounds of very weird things in the bushes. I didn't mind it, but I was scared, too. It was rather calming though. I opened my lunch box and started eating. I heard footsteps approaching me. I knew who it was already and didn't care.
"Yo, demon, you at your lare again. What are you cooking up this time? I wonder." Kei began. I ignored them and continued eating my lunch.
"Didn't your parents teach you manners to look at people when they are talking to you?" Hotaru walked up to me and slapped me. I just continued to eat my lunch.
"Well, didn't your your parents teach you that bullying someone is bad?" A girl my age stepped in holding her small waist. I admire her long jet black hair and her fierce personality. She was brave to stand up to Hotaru. Braver than Kei. Hotaru gritted his teeth.
"Little girl, mind your own business before something bad happens." He threatened. She approached him and looked him straight in his eyes.
"Something bad you say? Then do it. I'm standing right in front of you." He gritted his teeth harder. Grabbed his hair in rage and screamed. She watched him still a fire in her eyes.
"Leave him alone." She demanded. Obediently they left glaring at me. She looked over at me gave me a small smile then left.I smiled too after. 'Thank you.'