Chapter Nine

Apply for the position, Zoe told herself as her mouse hovered over the "Submit" button several times. Just click the button and apply! She didn't know why she held back when the opportunity was too good to pass up. Earlier that morning, her academic advisor from Bradleigh State sent her an E-mail about a unique opportunity that was grant-funded for the coming school year on campus. It would be an advocacy and advisory position, sitting on several boards on top of outreach sessions, all revolving around the college LGBTQ population. There was a large one that got bigger by the day, thanks to more people feeling safe enough to come out in what could still be an unwelcome world. The position would be enough pay to keep Zoe's head above water and something she had always been interested in. If there had been someone on campus advocating for the rights of those marginalized students, going over college policies to make sure they were included, then things may have been different for her. So why was it so hard to click that button?

      Zoe didn't want to think of what she couldn't bring to the table. She didn't have any experience in this field and a coordinator on this level would require a little research on her end. What she lacked in experience, however, she made up for in pure passion. This was a cause she cared deeply about and would give the most of herself to. It didn't hurt that the one doing the interviews was her former journalism professor, Tandi Reyes, who was the academic advisor for the LGBTQA Alliance on campus. She had a long history with her, always volunteering for events and helping establish gender-neutral private bathrooms in the dormitories to make trans youth on campus feel more safe. It was a small step in the right direction. She knew that, in this position, she could help Tandi really do some good. So, with a deep breath and a quick click, she hit "Submit". Her application and resume had been sent. There was no turning back now.

      The phone rang and Zoe jumped in sudden alarm. She cursed herself and picked it up. Delia was on the other end, filling her in on the gaming convention, getting the details of that mysterious trip to the Catskills with Hunter. What could Zoe say about Hunter that would ever do him justice to her best friend? Delia knew how to cut right to the chase. She asked about the dating, the sex, and the limbo they were in now. Of course, Zoe explained, Hunter promised to stay in touch with her and visit on the weekends. Delia seemed reluctant to put her faith into what any man said. After all, she reminded Zoe, there was an ex in her past that broke every promise he made. Hunter was different, Zoe knew, and she spent the rest of the time defending him to Delia. By the time they hung up, Zoe felt irritated. Delia was her best friend and even SHE could see that the two of them - Hunter Lawson and someone like Zoe - didn't make a good fit! 

      Still irritated but refusing for it to ruin her day, Zoe decided to call Hunter. She could find out how he was doing and they could plan for the upcoming weekend. She dialed his number but he didn't answer. So she sent a text. Leave it alone, she told herself over and over again, or he'll feel smothered. Just wait for him to reply. She got up to get her laptop and work through some more transcriptions. By the time dinner came and went, Hunter still didn't reply. She put her fingers on the screen to send another text but then stopped herself. Hunter wasn't replying and, contrary to how eager he had been in the Catskills, things would be different now. He had a life that didn't prioritize her. He had a right to that kind of life. She put her phone down, exhaled in more irritation, and tried to reason with it. Maybe Delia was right. Once Hunter went back to campus and his frat, just maybe he didn't have time for her.

      Hunter chugged another beer from the table and high-fived Trent, who stood next to him vigilant. The thin, sharp-featured frat boy who had been one of his good friend for ages, always looked unamused with binge drinking. He wore his blonde hair slicked back, showing piercing blue eyes that were almost the elusive color of gray water during a storm. His smile could charm anyone and he was generally the voice of reason. The way he looked at Hunter, as his best friend chugged a beer and laughed along with his buddies, said everything. This wasn't the direction the frat needed to go in now that everything had been exposed.