Chapter Thirty-Four

STORYBROOKE, Maine

Rebekah stood next to Grace, her daughter's fingers intertwined with hers as they stood before the casket. Rebekah let out a shaky breath, the cold air causing it to cloud around her. She looked down at her daughter, hair pinned back neatly, a dark red jacket covering her black dress. Rebekah looked down at her own outfit, a dress she had to buy the day before. It was a black long-sleeved, high-neck dress, the loose fabric of the skirt draped over her belly, making it more comfortable to wear. Less suffocating. And the hem brushed gently against her thighs with every move. It was comfy enough, but she would have prefered to be in something more relaxed -- sweatpants. She didn't want to be at a funeral; she wanted to be home and in bed, tucked away from the rest of the cruel world. But Rebekah couldn't run from this; she couldn't hide. This was reality. Rebekah closed her eyes as tears began to swell, trying to silence her shaking breathing so that she wouldn't upset Grace. Instead, she focused on Snow who stood next to the casket and began to speak.

"Some of us knew him as Archie," Snow said, voice breaking in the process. "Others as Jiminy," she said quietly. "But we all knew him as a true friend." The sound of Pongo whimpering caused the first tear to roll down Rebekah's cheek which she quickly wiped away with her free hand. Today wasn't about her and her sadness; it was about Archie. "And though he may now be gone, he will always live on inside of us. Reminding us to be our best selves, to do the right thing, to always fight for what we believe in." Snow quickly wiped away her town tears and forced a smile on her face, keeping her chin high. "So we shouldn't think of today as goodbye...just as a way of saying... Archie, " her voice broke again, "we'll be listening."

Pongo began to cry again and Grace let go of Rebekah's hand, moving to kneel beside the dog and hug it as she hid her face against his fur, trying to hide her own tears. She had been trying to fight back her own emotions these last few days; Rebekah could see it. But now she was finally letting go. Letting all the pain she felt out as she hugged onto Pongo tightly. It broke Rebekah's heart.

Rebekah felt a hand clasp around her shoulder and looked to see Emma standing by her side now as Henry kneeled beside Grace, mimicking his mother's action on his cousin.

"How are you holding up?" Emma asked Rebekah.

She smiled weakly, trying her best to be brave in that moment. But all she could do was shrug her shoulders, no words leaving her mouth. Because what was there to say?

Emma nodded her head, frowning. "Everyone's coming to the apartment for a celebration of life in a bit. You and Grace are welcome to come."

Rebekah shook her head, but gave Emma a soft smile. "I have to get back to the hospital."

Emma nodded. "You two are welcome over afterwards as well. If you want to have dinner or just get away from the house." Rebekah knew Emma was trying her hardest to be there for her, but she couldn't possibly understand what this felt like for Rebekah and Grace.

"Emma," Rebekah stopped her from continuing. "Thank you."

"I just..." She breathed out while shaking her head. When she finally looked back at Rebekah, her eyes were filled with tears. "I don't want you guys to think you're alone."

Rebekah grabbed Emma's hand, giving it a squeeze. "I know. Thank you."

"Mama," Grace said as she got up, finally letting go of Pongo. Henry moved to stand next to Emma, and Grace followed. "I don't want to go to the hospital," she told her mother. "I want to go back to Emma and Auntie Snow's place." Rebekah opened her mouth to object, but Grace's eyes filled with tears. "Please," she begged. "I just can't," Grace started to say, tears falling down her cheeks.