chapter 65: sleep

Magsimula sa umpisa

" Thank you, sir." she whispered so faintly, he swore he didn't hear a thing. He smiled, clutching his helmet and walked softly out of the room to leave two of the most respected Easy members to sleep. She felt a hand gently touch her, most likely resting her temperature of her fever. She fluttered her eyes open slightly. The person took back their hand and began rummaging in a bag. She opened her eyes fully, still somewhat dazed and half open and noticed that Gene was sitting on the edge of her bed.

" Hi Gene." She mumbled moving around in the bed to sitting position. She groaned at her aching muscles as she did so, and felt the heading still pounding her forehead. She realized how cold she was, and immediately snatched up the blanket around herself a bit. Gene gave her a pointed look, but she only looked away with a sigh.

" Let's take your temp." He Said, pulling a thermometer from his bag and handing it to the girl. She stuck it under her tongue and waited for the temperature to show. She looked over at Lipton and a small smile appeared on the girl's face as she saw that he was still fast asleep, locked out of the world and finally resting. Gene noticed the girl's smile his way. She turned back to Gene. She pulled the thermometer from her mouth and frowned.

" What is it?" Gene Asked the girl.

" 102.9, it barely moved." She said softly.

" That's because you're running around like a madwoman and need to rest." Gene said, and she knew he was right in every way. But she had to do it.

" I'll be fine." She whispered and slowly pulled herself from under the blanket. She glanced at her watch. It was 1650 and she needed to be at CP at 1700. She turned and slowly bent down, a wave of dizziness crashing over her body as she did so. Gene noticed her sway and placed a hand on her shoulder to balance the small girl. She couldn't even bend down for more than a second and gave up tying her shoes. She stared at Gene, frustrated tears welling in her eyes as she tried to tie them but got dizzy again. Gene sighed and got down on the ground tying the girl's boots up quickly for her. She ran a hand through her dried, fairly long hair, and watched Gene carefully tie her shoes with gentle fingers. He finished and picked up her medic satchel and helmet, handing the top objects to the girl. She gave a small smile, and with some help from Gene stood to her feet. She placed the beanie on her head, to which Gene smirked slightly, as how cute she looked, before she coughed again. She placed her helmet on her head, adjusting the rather large object, and then threw her satchel over her shoulder, grimacing at her aching shoulder pain that followed.

" Thanks, Gene." she said softly, side stepping the current ranking medic.

" Don't worry about Lip, his fever's lower than it was this morning." he explained gently to the quiet girl. She nodded in thanks, glancing at the 1st Sergeant laying still like a brick in the bed, and then crossed her arms over her chest and hurried towards the CP. She slowly walked up the steps, the agonizing ache in her body completely controlling her. She turned the corner, surprised to see that more than half the men were already here, and that Lieutenant Jones was leaned up against the entrance to the room, idle as the rest of the men were lazily sat back in chairs, their feet propped up on the table. Liebgott met her eyes, and she knew he stilled disapproved of her going because of her illness. Charlotte walked further into the room, removing her helmet and the beanie underneath, and the braids as well poking out. Liebgott's nerves settled at the fact she hadn't lost the childlike way of her personality, as she looked youthful and cute again in her braids and beanie. She glanced around the room and met Shifty's eyes. They widened a bit at the sight of the girl, confused on why she was here when she was sick. She just sighed. She met Chuck's eyes, and she saw sympathy fill his eyes. babe's looked the same way, guilty possibly, that young girl had to venture over there in the middle of the night in the freezing cold, sick as a dog. She walked slowly into the room and saw the spare chair next to Jackson. She tried to fake it, that she felt fine, but once she collapsed in the chair she felt she couldn't move or it'd hurt too much. She sighed at the comfort, and slowly propped her feet up against the table like the rest of the men. Jackson looked over at her with soft doe eyes.