Was it all a lie?

SERAPHINA POV

I watched Joker through the window.  Arlo had insisted I watch the fight, and I decided to settle the score with him once and for all. John couldn't be joker. Especially since he had no powers... right? 

I am not going to lie about it here though. John had been acting suspicious over the past little while. Now that I think about it, it started exactly when I came back from suspension. I remember him falling to his feet in front of me...

That was so unlike him.

I redirect my focus onto the fight in front of me. Arlo had jumped down to help out Remi, but he honestly was being much help. He was getting beaten to shreds by Joker. And when I looked at his face, there was something in it I had only seen once before. Fear. The only time I saw fear in his eyes was once in the hospital infirmary after getting pushed down the stairs.

I keep getting distracted! But wait. If John is joker...

My thoughts are disturbed by the defensive pose Joker holds.

It's the exact one John taught me. It's the exact one he uses.

Its John.

John is Joker.

I fall to the ground on my knees, now feeling weaker than ever. I look back at the fight once again to confirm my first thoughts, and to my surprise, they were right. All the combos, parries, strikes. It was John.

But if Joker was John...Was our entire friendship based on a lie?

I can feel hands on my shoulders, probably my friends trying to comfort me. But they don't do much. Because I feel numb. Was everything a lie?

I think back to when we first met, he was so convincing. He sold the story well, no doubt. I mean, he fooled me for this long? Arlo found out not that long ago either. Elaine...It all makes sense now.  The sudden surprise when I brought up Joker a few days ago, the sudden solemnness he carried around with him, even his injuries when I came back from suspension. 

But why? Why would you hide something like this from all of us? It makes no sense. You're more powerful and you know it. Are you some kind of masochist? Did you like the pain of getting beat up every day?

Joker now stands with his foot triumphantly on Arlo's head. Remi is off to the side, panting and gasping for air. Blyke and Isen are on the roof of the other building in similar conditions. It's so brutal. So...animalistic. He has no control.

Joker looks up at us all. His eyes seem to scan the windows in search of any other challengers. I sure hoped nobody would step up. With him in this state, there is no telling what he might do to them. Thankfully, nobody steps forward. He takes his foot off of Arlo and walks through an alleyway where Cecile appears to be waiting. They disappear from my view. And I collapse even more so than I already did. Tears run down my face in defeat. As if my life wasn't hell enough with losing my ability and all, I find out John has lied to me all this time?

I don't go to class.

I don't do anything.

I just am.

John's POV

I meet Cecile in a nearby alleyway. She gave me a funny look and started walking back to the school. 

"That's it right? No more hierarchy. No more royals. What's your plan now? Establish your rule?"

I shake my head, "No. Joker is to never be seen again."

Cecile turns around in shock. "What? How do I get my status then? And what about the rest of the school. Everything could continue as it was before."

I shake my head in response. "No. I've thought it through. Arlo is too proper when it comes to this kind of thing. He will step down and won't attempt to rise up again. He knows his place. And he will influence the rest of the Royals as well. Plus they know me. There will be no hierarchy."

Cecile looks confused before she reminds me of her status. "Well...Alright. But my status?"

I smile at her in response and walk faster, so I get ahead of her. I'm reminded of my injuries when I get a sharp pain in my shoulder from walking fast. I wince and slow down. I need to get healed. But how? 

I take the train to the turf wars site. There really is no other option when you think about it. No infirmary because people could see me. No Elaine because she is terrified of me. This is my only option other than the hospital. But, hospitals are expensive. Especially for something as minor as my own injuries? This was the best choice.

Some students are already gathered in the distance and (thankfully) I sense the aura of a healer. As soon as I can get close enough to see the healer use her ability, I copy it and heal myself while jogging back to the train station.

*This is a Fanfic and all characters belong to Uruchan*
*thanks for reading! don't forget to vote and add this to your library!