10

Day One

City of Bones

The City of Bones was as dark, bloomy and depressing as Kasey imagined. Her only sane company was Jace, her brother and the only person who understood how she felt right now. They had gone through some things the past two months in that ship, revealed some truth about themselves and learned of the fact their mothers didn't want them.

It had been a hard few months but somehow that made them closer, made them create that bond, a family bond they didn't know they needed and felt missing. They didn't speak, they didn't acknowledge each other, both of them too busy to try and settle their thoughts of the last 24 hours, their escape, their run in with the wolves and being arrested, but the thought of sharing cells was a soothing thought because they knew they weren't alone.

They heard a Silent Brother walking closer "They all deserve to be here. Infractions against the Clave do not go unpunished"

Kasey looked up from the shadows of her cell, seeing the Silent Brother and a familiar redhead. Clary.

Clary looked between the two cells, "Jace. Kasey"

"You shouldn't have come here" Jace told her, hiding in the shadows of his cell "Take her out"

Clary looked at the Silent Brother, "No" She looked at Jace and glanced at the cell in front of his, knowing it was Kasey's "I'm not going anywhere... Unless I know you're gonna be okay"

Jace hesitated, stepping forward, out of the shadows "Is Alec safe? Is he all right?"

Kasey stepped forward, out of the shadows, grabbing the bars.

"He's fine" Clary answered, nodding "Lydia's okay, too, Kasey." Kasey closed her eyes in relief "Guys, I feel terrible. You're both here because of me. If I hadn't fallen under Dot's spell–"

"You're not what put us here, Clary" Kasey told her. She exchanged a look with Jace. "We have to pay for our actions"

"Not by yourselves" Clary told them. "What can I do to help? Please, tell me. I will do anything"

"You can stay away from us" Jace told her.

"What?" Clary asked.

"No matter what happens, never come near us again" Kasey told her.

"Kasey, what are you talking about?" Clary asked "You two are my family"

Kasey hesitated.

Jace shook his head "We are Valentine's weapons. You think he's just gonna let us go? He knows that you... You're my weakness. If I ever get out of here, he'll come after you again"

"I can't be near Lydia, either" Kasey told her, "He knows she's my weakness. He knows I'd follow Jace wherever he goes. He has tested that. If he comes for him, he comes for me too"

"Let him" Clary told them "I'm not afraid. Lydia isn't either. She'd do whatever for you, Kase. We'll fight him off together"

"There is no together for you and me, Clary" Jace told her "Or Lydia and Kasey if that puts their bond in danger. There never can be"

"Jace..." Clary told him. She looked at Kasey "Kasey..."

Kasey shook her head "We're done here"

The Silent brother moved Clary away.

"No" Clary told them "Guys, please, don't do this. Jace! Kasey!"