as fate would have it ➳ thor odinson

"Who are you?!" The girl in front of me roared angrily, thrusting a fist into my diaphragm. I coughed, wheezing as air tried to fight it's way to where it's supposed to be. "Who do you work for? And don't say the government. You wouldn't be tailing Thor if you did."

   A few gulps of air later, I answered, "I do work for the government and I wasn-" she didn't give me time to finish before backhanding my face with her beautifully structured hands.

   "Hey, Maria. Lay off your new boss, Y/N Y/L/N. You know, the super, totally awesome agent who has a lot of pull in the Senate, in Congress, with every branch of government. Including Interpol and almost every consulate." A mysterious voice spoke from what I was assuming behind double sided glass.

   "I told you so, Maria."

    Hey, that's me, Y/N. You're probably wondering how I ended up in this situation. Well... It all started when I was asked to come to New York. Here, I'll do the work and take you back.

~~~

"Hey, Y/N..." My ever so graceful boss asked with a suspicious tone in her voice and entered my office. "Why are you getting calls from Nick Fury?"

"Have I? I've been too busy spinning congressional and senate scandals that I feel like a damn carousel." She grimaced at that statement, knowing the exact feeling.

   "Just... check your phone next time you get 30 seconds, yeah?"

   "Yeah."

    That's where it all started. Me ignoring his calls and never bothering to check my texts. Spinning scandals wasn't all I did. I had to sub in for sick lawyers sometimes and attorneys that I was always reading case files. I was known as a warrior, for opening slam dunk cases and sending anyone away. I was feared, I was a shark and I didn't let that go to waste. Turns out, ignoring someone long enough pisses them off.

   "Agent Y/N, will you please silence your phone?" The judge asked when it kept going off during the first trial date of a serial killer.

   "Sorry, your honour." I apologized, attempting to ignore the feeling in my back pocket as it buzzed with temptation. "Actually, your honour, can I answer whoever this is?" After I was dismissed, I checked the 20 missed calls and many text messages. It was the guy I had been avoiding, Nick Fury.

Agent Y/N
What do you want? I'm in the middle of beginning to put a serial killer behind bars.

Fury
Well, if you could hurry up, I need you in New York.

Agent Y/N
What for, Fury?

Fury
I'm stepping down as Director of Shield. You're perfect for the job.

Agent Y/N
I would be honored, Mr. Fury, sir.

Fury
Great. I'll see you here in a few days.

Agent Y/N
I'll see who I can get to cover me on my case. It's going to take more than just a few days.

I pocketed my phone, making my way back to the court room. I'd have made it if a man hadn't opened the heavy mahogany door straight into my nose. "Bloody hell..." He started panicking when I should have been, rushing me towards the coffee cart to steal dozens of napkins.

"Are you okay, miss?" He piles the napkins up under my nose, prompting me to hold them there. I sat down on a bench, leaning on him.