Hopes and Dreams Part One

Josh looked around the room, nervously playing with the end of his tie. Through the years, the rooms had progressively got nicer. He remembered with fondness the dimly-lit shoebox in his first year at University. Now he was in this large bright room, maybe three times the size of the original. How many other people had got this far? He shuddered, not for him, the overcrowded underground offices of his peers. He was going somewhere! It was still windowless he had to admit but the hologram on the far wall depicting a tropical paradise complete with the soothing sounds of the ebb and flow of the sea made windows superfluous.

Josh sat up straighter as he heard the soft click of the door behind him opening. A waft of perfume spread through the room alerting him to which Psychotherapist he was to see before Dr Whittaker entered his field of vision, striding to her desk. Josh adjusted his tie and placed his hands on his knee. This was it!

'How are you Josh?' Dr Whittaker asked, settling into the seat behind the desk.

'Great.' Josh placed his palms up on the desk in front of him, emphasising his answer. He leant forward. Studying psychology did have its advantages he reflected. Look into her eyes, smile, keep palms upturned and project confidence he reminded himself.

Dr Whittaker smiled back and opened a silver folder on the desk. Inside he could see the usual tablet within its confines. Josh was able to make out his name on the top and was impressed that his notes were preloaded.

'You've met three psychologists already, I see.' Her eyes rose to meet his. 'They are all pleased with your progress. In fact they all think you make a great candidate.'

Josh relaxed and shifted in his seat, pleased with the description. Dr Whittaker noted the movement and her smile slipped.

'You realise that there is no going back if you are accepted?'

Josh shifted in his chair and silently evaluated the woman. She would be no push over. She had to be at least in her fifties to have this much responsibility but her clear skin and unlined face made her seem to be in her early twenties. The illusion was completed with tendrils of hair escaping from a high ponytail favoured by Josh's classmates. He felt uncomfortable, she was attractive bt he had to remember she had the final decision.

'I've been working towards this my whole life. I've studied hard, passed all my exams with top marks. When you opened this program to people like me, I just knew I had to go for it.'

Dr Whittaker looked down at his notes again. A frown creased her forehead. Josh pushed back the thought that thousands of women outside the Company would have been unable to do this with Botox. Not many could afford the anti-aging treatments this woman had obviously had.

'You would have been three when we announced the gate, sixteen when we opened up the programme.' Her voice softened, 'That really shows dedication. I have to remind you that once through the gate, we cannot bring you back. You must realise that we can send colonists and machinery through but at the moment nothing living can return.

Josh paused before answering. He'd rehearsed this conversation a thousand times in his mind. Too soon would have meant he had not considered the consequences, too late would have signified he had doubts.

'I understand.'

' Then, fine.' Dr Whittaker snapped the file closed, stood up and moved to stand beside him, holding out her hand.

'Josh Lloyd I would like to formally welcome you to the Colonisation Program.'

Josh smiled with relief.  He was through. To fail at this stage would have been his worst nightmare. There would still be more tests, but for now it was enough he was in the top ten percent. His dreams were finally coming true. Snapping back the brakes, he pushed back from the desk and rolled his wheelchair in position to shake her hand.

'I gladly accept.'

******************

End of Part One

If you liked this story please VOTE

If you would like to find out what happens next, please VOTE.

Encourage me to write more, please VOTE.... :-)