Chapter 10 - Meet The King

Start from the beginning

- Thank you, friends. Don't forget me while I'm gone? – I asked, letting them go, and remembering all the friends I had that forgot me so easily.

- It should only be for a night, Miss, there really is no need for goodbyes – Coal coughed, apparently a bit shy.

- Yes, yes, let's just go downstairs and get this over with – Scarlett said awkwardly, already opening the door.

I chuckled and followed her, grabbing the suitcase from Coal.

All the Shadows seemed to be assembled on the throne room, helping their Master getting ready to leave. I was sad looking at their worried and anxious faces. They were about as excited about us leaving as I was.

Emmeric looked especially graceful today. He was wearing some high-knee leather black boots, covering half of his black trousers underneath. A dark dusty green vest covered his black shirt, gold details down the middle, matching the gold of the three clasps that kept it closed. He sported, on top of it all, a long dark navy blazer with dark green embroilments imitating leafs patterns and the gold streaks at the edges. Finally, a gold and black sash fell across his chest, hiding beneath his blazer his sword.

His black hair was firmly pushed back, not a lock out of place, exposing his pointy ears. With his skin as pale as ever, the determination on his almond shaped blue eyes brought a light to them. Still, it was obvious he was tense. Straight bushy eyes frowned, full pastel pink lips pressed together and a clenching jaw made it impossible not to notice.

- We're going to be okay, aren't we? – I asked in an anxious voice as I got near him.

He glanced my way as he put on a glove on his left hand. I saw him stand a bit taller, tension dissipating and turning into confidence, reassuring me a little.

- We are going to be just fine. Nothing for you to worry about. – He tried to smile my way, in an effort to keep me calm. – In fact, you won't have to do anything. I am the one who has a lot to do while we're there.

- You still have to explain to me what you intent to do – I reminded him.

- If you're really that curious, I'll explain once we get there. Let's go.

And so, the doors opened and waiting for us outside was a black and gold carriage, small and rounded, two big wheels on either side. It was just big enough for me and Emmeric, but there seemed to be something missing, although I couldn't quite point out what.

- We'll be back tomorrow, as early as possible – Emmeric announced to the Shadows, who were all collectively standing outside the castle. – I expect you all to behave in the meantime. Conduct yourselves as if I am still here.

In response, some Shadows said yes, others sniffed and others just nodded sadly. Emmeric opened the door of the carriage and allowed me to get in first. He soon followed and sat on the bench opposite to mine, closing the door again. I peeked my head through the window on the door and waved goodbye to all of them.

It was when I heard a snap of fingers and that the carriage started moving that I realized what was missing. There weren't any horses. We were moving by ourselves. I waved one last time to the Shadows and looked back at Emmeric, who was putting on his other glove.

- Did you just made the carriage start moving? – I asked in amazement.

- Yes – he replied, nonchalant.

- That's... amazing. We had to use horses, although nowadays we have cars that just need fuel.

- I don't know what you are talking about, but here we just need magic – he settled on his place, leaning his arm on the window's sill and resting his face against the gloved hand.