26. a scar time failed to heal

Start from the beginning

Bruce gulped. The truth was he'd been trying to speak with Loki; actual conversation that didn't involve Loki coming up with an excuse to avoid him every time he so much as saying hello to the Trickster. Bruce wanted to talk. Or to be exact he wanted to apologize for what the Other Guy did years ago.
(Bruce was aware it wasn't necessary his fault, and even Hulk wasn't the one to blame for Loki tried to enslave mankind back then. Still he felt like he should apologize)

"Look," he said. Now seemed like a good opportunity since they were alone and Loki couldn't go anywhere, "I know you and I - I mean you and the Other Guy, haven't actually been on the best term, but I thought you should know that he's not going to hurt you... again."

Loki did glance at him, though the look on his face wasn't promising. If anything the God started to look more and more of a scared cat trapped in a cage with a lion; small and petrified. And even though he tried to keep his emotions buried away and show noting he wasn't doing a very good job.

"I mean even if he wants to, I think I can control him better this time. Or even if I lose I don't think you'd be as severely injured as the last time?"

For some reason Loki managed to appear even paler, and Bruce knew he screwed up. He wasn't good at this, but he tried. He was trying, quickly trying to recover himself, "my point is, if you are afraid-"

"I'm not afraid," Loki cut Bruce off, though it sounded so unconvincing even to his own ears that he wanted to wince.

"Well, that's good." Bruce said, "because I don't want you to think you're weak for being scared of the Hulk." Bruce thought he could still manage this (and if his thought was wrong then he wouldn't know unless the damage got too severe) "It's okay if you're scared. I mean he smashes everything and everyone, not just you specifically."

Loki swallowed hard and unconsciously pulled at his collar. Bruce, however, failed to acknowledge. "One time he destroyed the whole building. Well, it was more than once, but there was this time -"

"Banner," Loki sounded alarmed (panicked even) "I don't know what you're trying to say," but please stop talking, was held back.

"What I'm trying to say is I'm sorry,"

"For what?"

"For what the Hulk did to you."

"I don't know what you're taking about."

"He smashed you -"

The ground shook violently, unexpectedly, the impact brought both of them to their knees. Before either of them could say a word the elevator shuddered and jerked - the light flickered before it went off completely. And as darkness consumed it all they realized they weren't moving. Stuck here together.

~~~

"What happened?" Y/n asked. The rest of the team looked just as confused when, suddenly, they were out of electricity. Are we under attack was left unsaid, but it was there on everybody's faces; lurked between confusion was worry - paranoia but ready to fight if anyone were to mess with them.

"It's all good, fellows." Tony announced as he emerged from the door. "Just a storm. Power's cut off."

Steve nodded. They would have to live in the dark until... well, until it passed. His phone buzzed and he pulled the device out to see he'd got a text from Bruce. Steve read it quietly, it was the look on his face that gave it away.

"Everything's okay?" Tony asked.

Steve looked up from his phone, he wasn't smiling. "We've got a situation."