74. handsome bureaucrat

"Get out of here!" Steve shouted from across the street, through debris and smoke. The man — the grey haired man with a mustache in a plain brown suit — ignored him completely as he continued walking towards Loki. Oh no, Steve thought horribly. He's gonna get himself killed. That poor man's gonna get himself killed.

Except Loki did not kill the mortal. To Steve's utter surprise (and confusion, too) Loki went pale the second he saw the stranger, and suddenly all of his clones, that were attacking New York, as well as his cape, the horns, the green magic and the gold armor, disappeared in the blink of an eye. The look on Loki's face, as crazy as it sounded, was of a tamed house cat. Steve couldn't see an evidence of a deranged, dangerous and unstable God, that was Loki less than a minute ago, who demanded humankind's submission anymore. Ever since he saw the little grey haired man...

Who the fuck is he?

///

Pairing: Loki/Mobius M. Mobius, Mobius M. Mobius & Steve Rogers, Loki & Thor, Mobius M. Mobius & Thor

This was in my to-write list for way longer than I'd like to admit, and I was happy I finally got to actually write it! Basically, Loki thought he'd kill the boredom by causing mischief on Earth. The Avengers tried and failed to stop him, until Mobius showed up.

By the way, this takes place after Endgame and Loki series, and everybody lives, because I say so.

///

It was two hours before sunset, when Steve was informed about another threat towards the people of New York. And if Steve were to be honest, saving the world had slowly, unconsciously become more of a tedious daily duty than something that'd get adrenaline pumped through his veins. And he was certain the rest of the Avengers felt the same; another day, another threat, another villain to defeat.

He did a double take at the villain part though, making sure he read what was shown on the screen of his phone correctly; a text from Natasha about this villain trying to take over earth again. (Natasha did say 'again' in her message.) The huff of air that left Steve's mouth was involuntary when he realized he read that right; he just... didn't expect him to make the second attempt so soon after having his ass kicked the last time, was all.

Well, Steve supposed Thor wouldn't want to miss out this evening's mission then.

~~~

The street was already a mess by the time the Avengers arrived at the scene, with Thor being the first to jump out of their vehicle, Stormbreaker ready in his hold (although Steve doubted Thor would actually decapitate the baby brother whom he'd been searching for for ages, even if it was only — Steve looked around, and wasn't sure whether he should be concerned or annoyed by the sight of a hundred-or-so Lokis wreaking havoc the city — Loki's clones. Though Steve figured it wasn't hard to detach the real one from his clones, because there was only one Loki with long, dramatic cape and a shiny gold helmet standing on top of a random fucking car, in the midst of the chaos.)

And the little shit even had the nerve to wave at Thor — a very murderous-looking Thor — when his eyes landed on him. So no, Steve thought, it wasn't difficult at all to spot the real Loki. What was, was stop him and the army of his fucking clones.

"I'll deal with my brother," Thor said. He sounded angry, sure, but if anything he sounded more annoyed. "The rest of you take care of... my brother's clones." Then he took off into the battle with the weapon Steve knew he wasn't going to use against Loki anyway.

At least being on a mission meant he didn't have to spend the rest of the evening listening to Tony's ramble about whatever he'd created in his lab with Bruce, so Steve thought he'd count that as a blessing.