Chapter 5

Astrid POV

The next year passed slowly. Painfully. It felt like we'd spent more times without the dragons than with them. A year without morning flights. A year without dragon races. A year without cleaning dragon poop - wasn't to sentimental on the last point.

But the days passed slowly and the year was dull. People acted like Hiccup and I were having the time of our lives. The 'blissful' period of marriage without children. And I suppose it was - when I see him.

He leaves early in the morning, and returns late at night. When I see him during the day he's busy or stressed. And I'm left teaching people how to fight or trying to help Fishlegs with the school - although goodness knows kids scare me.

What haunted me the most was the friends we'll never see again. Heather, Dagur, the wingmaidens. What has happened to them and their dragons?

It's not like we never see dragons anymore. There were dragons outside of Berk of course. But lately we've been seeing fewer and fewer. And often when we do - they're traveling in pacts - right to the hidden world.

Soon, I fear there won't be a dragon anywhere, not even a wild one. Of course this is good, but it's the ending of something, end of an era, the end of a lifestyle.

Ugh. Why can't we just be roudy teens and go ditch our family to go live on an island with a volcano?

Yikes, we were wild. It's hard to believe that was only three years ago.

I rolled around in my bed. The day was breaking and blinding, old me would be out already. But I don't have Stormfly to feed or terrible terrors screeching or the twins exploding stuff.

Hiccup was gone of course, although I was hoping he'd stick around today. Today marks a year without dragons. And a year of our engagement.

I struggled through the start of my day, starting with the school.

Fishlegs was sitting in the school planning for the day. He could only teach in the afternoons as families needed children for labour in the mornings as we settled back into our sheep farming life. Ruffnut was lazily walking round the room.

"Shouldn't you be helping Tuff and Eret?" I asked her grinning.

"It's sooooo boring!"

"And Fishlegs isn't?"

She made a face at me. Fishlegs and Ruff made an unusual couple. They argued all day but at the end of the night they would end up together, grunting apologies to each other as Ruff tolerated Fishleg's hugs.

I wandered over to the blacksmiths as I heard Gobeer yelling.

"HOW MANY TIMES DO I HAVE TO TELL YE! DONT TOUCH THE GRONKLE IRON, WE DONT HAVE MUCH LEFT"

I rolled my eyes. Even Gobber doesn't have the patience for Snotlout.

I decided I'd talk to them later.

Finally- the farm. Tuff and Eret were trying to heard  sheep into an enclosed area. They were both screaming at each other in a panic.

"How can you guys handle dragons but not sheep?" I chuckled nearing the fence.

"Very funny."

I continued walking up the hill. Finally, peace. I did the only thing that made me feel in control- I ran and ran. Not away, not anywhere really. I just ran to leave my thought behind. And they did but they caught up to me when I stopped in a wave of dizziness.

I sighed. I needed Hiccup.

~~~~

"Hey." I whispered in Hiccups ear. He looked up startled.

"What are you doing here?"

"Um, meeting? I'm the general of Berk remember."

"That's not til Thursday."

" It is Thursday"

"Oh." He looked supposed. Gosh he was tired. Did he even come home last night? He wanted to stay and talk with Gobber and I was tired and fell asleep as soon as I got home...

"Oh Thor Hiccup, you did come home last night didn't you?"

He just blinked.

"Hiccup, what about breakfast? Lunch? You didn't eat much at Dinner!" My words stumbled out in a maze of worry.

He just stared at me blankly. "I'm fine"

"Okay..."

~~~

Dinner was the only sanity Berk had left. Several women and Gobber prepared dinner for whoever wanted it. Some families chose to eat at home- but I can't cook so...

We always sat with Eret, Gobber, Valka and the gang. Hiccup was practically asleep next to me. His spoon swishing around his food. I glanced at Valka with worry.

Tuff was going on about his favourite sheep, Chicken no. 17. While Eret was jumping in and telling the actual funny bits, grinning at Gobber when he did so.

Snotlout then complained about Gobber - to Gobber in which the entire table laughed when Snotlout realised. Well- everyone except Hiccup.

Fishlegs was currently not talking to Ruff, something about pranking a student while he was talking.

"Hiccup, do you need an early night?" I whispered in his ear.

He nodded and closed his eyes as a dragged him from the table, muttering goodnights at everyone. We reached the house and I brought him to bed, kissed him on the forehead and cuddled next to him.

I though about mentioning the anniversary of the dragons leaving - and our engagement. Or to simply ask if he was okay. But not tonight. He needs rest.

Lol hey remember me????
So I have random motivation for this book again so like maybe expect more. So it's real crappy. Currently 12:06am. Need to stop writing at night. Like seriously. But I can't sleep and it's not like I have time during the day or whatever.
Anywayyyyyyy
Hope u enjoyed this little day in the life of Astrid. I have a few ideas if I can be bothered writing them.
Ps comments and votes and stuff really boast my confidence to write so please do that it u care about my self confidence. I don't so like help.
Goodnight.
M Xx