Chapter 52: The Power to Shorten One's Life

"You've done a lot of stupid things before, Luffy!" Nami shrieked out, "But this is by far one of the dumbest!"

"They're gonna kill him!" Usopp cried out, silently saying a prayer for Luffy's soul as the shattered mast created a slight fog of ice around him. They could see through that ruse right away though... he was trying to use that as cover to try and escape before the Admirals noticed he was gone. Luffy had even shifted into his Second Gear for the hundredth time that day and disappeared.

"That's never gonna work!" Sanji shouted out, as he spotted the Admirals following him with their eyes.

"But even if he could fight them, there's no time!" Chopper shouted out, staring at the executioners, who were both ready to chop Ace's head off, and he had to fight the wail that was threatening to come.

"And you think that they're gonna just let him go that easily?" Zoro demanded, "Especially since anyone who might back him up are all on the other side of the wall?"

"Not only that, but Luffy's taken a real beaten here," Robin added in concern. "I don't know how much longer he can stay on his feet at this rate."

"But he's been doing good so far!" Usopp pointed out.

"It doesn't matter how good he's been doing, it's all about how long he can keep it up!" Nami said fearfully as Kizaru suddenly disappeared. What happened next was over so quickly that she didn't realize what happened until she heard Luffy's cry of pain. Apparently Kizaru had tracked him down and kicked him back, away from the platform. This time he went flying into one of the broken buildings, now lying among some broken rubble and dust.

"Oh, that had to hurt!" Usopp cringed at just looking at it. But the situation was even worse when he saw that marines were swarming around him... he didn't realize just how many marines were on this side! But when he took the time to notice what was happening around them, he could see hundreds, all armed and deadly. "Luffy... you are so screwed..."

"If I didn't know for a fact that he made it out of this place alive, then I'd agree with you," Nami said, as Brook bit down on his boney hands.

"Can't someone jump over and help? He can't fight them all off on his own!" Brook screamed in terror, panic really starting to settle in. He didn't know what to do now, or what anyone can do against these odds. Can't someone do something to help?!

"Dammit!" Luffy growled, and for the first time since arriving at Marineford, he looked worn out and exhausted.

Yet time seemed to have finally run out for them.

Sengoku had just given the order.

"On my mark!" he commanded, getting the executioners attention, who sprang to attention, positioning their swords at Ace's neck.

"NO!" Franky shouted, sure that this was the final curtain for him. Ace sure seemed to think so for he merely lowered his head in acceptance, no longer looking like he even cared what happened next.

"I CAN'T WATCH!" Chopper screamed as he pulled his hat down over his eyes and covered his ears. Nami also looked away as the others stared in horror, their hearts beating so hard that it was painful—yet they couldn't look at anything else. Luffy was struggling through the wreckage to pull himself out, but he seemed to be having a very difficult time getting his body to do what he wanted.

"Do it!" Sengoku commanded, bringing his hand down, the executioners raising their swords hit over their heads before they brought them down in a great sweeping motion.

"ACE!" Luffy screamed, his eyes wide, completely helpless as he watched the swords fall. The Straw Hats were all sure that this was going to be the moment where Ace was going to die. There wasn't anything that could put a stop to it any longer...