bonus: the collins

ONE YEAR LATER...

NICK

"Wow, he looks just like me."

I roll my eyes at Colton as we both look down at my newborn son, Tyler. He was born two months ago and I'm still in complete awe of him. He's so fucking adorable. I love his tiny nose and the way he smells. I look at him and can't believe he's mine.

"He's mine," I say to Colton.

He chuckles. "Who would have thought someone as ugly as you could have a kid as cute as him? Now I know why you married Rachel."

I shake my head at him with a smile. "Shut the hell up."

We're in my house. It's around seven in the evening. Rachel is getting some sleep while I watch our baby. I didn't think it was possible to love her even more but I was so wrong. If I loved her before, that love has quadrupled now that she is the mother of my son. Our son. I definitely want to have more of these. I'm glad we're on the same page.

"Do you want to hold him?" I ask Colton.

He clears his throat. "Uh-I'm not sure I'll know how to..." his voice trails off.

He's been doing so much better than how he was a year ago. I still think about that day in the hospital and it still terrifies me to remember the shape he was in. It's not that he's the perfect man now because he's not. He's sleeping around with women and living his best life or more like his better life. He's still working on it. He's more like himself again. He laughs and smiles and jokes around. He's my brother again.

What happened a year ago has brought us closer. Sometimes I feel guilty about keeping this secret from the rest of the family but then I remember how great Colton is doing now and I don't feel as guilty. I know everything would have changed if I wouldn't have stopped him from going to the police. He would be in jail right now. His career, his life-everything would have been over for him. Our family would still be suffering right now. We would've been carrying this burden on our backs for the rest of our lives. Colton wouldn't have gotten another shot at life or love if he's ever open to it again.

That's why I don't regret it. In a way, everything happened just how it was supposed to happen. Hannah's stalker was blamed for it but that bastard deserves it. So many things have happened in the last year but here we are. Still standing. It feels like we're finally okay again.

The Collins are great again.

I place Tyler in Colton's arms carefully. He looks even smaller in his arms. It reminds me that I need to start working out myself. I've got the hottest wife on earth. I want to look good for her as well.

"You're a natural."

Colton chuckles. "Can you sound more surprised?"

"I can try." I joke.

"He's so adorable," he says touching Tyler's tiny hands. The poor kid just wants to sleep and here we are terrorizing him.

I don't know why but it is there, in Tyler's room, that I feel compelled to tell Colton everything. He's become my best friend. We'll always be bound by secrets. Why not add more?

"I asked Rachel to marry me on a contract," I say casually.

He looks up at me. "What?"

"I wanted to get the bigger shares of the company so I asked her to marry me," I say then smile. "We had all of you fooled for a whole year."

He raises his eyebrows in surprise. "You mean the baby-?"

I laugh. "Not part of it." I sigh as I look at Tyler. "We just fell in love with each other, man. Our marriage became real and it's been the best thing that's ever happened to me." I look at him. "I don't know why I just told you but you better keep your mouth shut."

He shrugs. "I guess I'm not surprised. Your marriage seemed a little too perfect."

"It's not perfect now but it's real." I grin. "She's the love of my life."

He half smiles. "I'm really happy for you," he says but his eyes look sad.

I feel like a selfish bastard. Here I am talking about my marriage and how happy I am with my family. It's been a year but I know Colton is still hurting. At the same time, I can't help but glow about it. I love my wife. I love my son. I love my family. I'm officially a family man and I've never been happier.

I place my hand on his shoulder. "You'll have this one day."

"Not the wife part, no." He disagrees then looks down at Tyler. "But I would like to become a father one day."

"And you will," I say trying to sound optimistic.

We stand there in silence for a couple of minutes.

"So who helped you with this contract?" Colton asks after a moment.

"My lawyer."

He looks at me. "I'm very impressed, little brother."

"You could learn a thing or two from me." I wink at him, joking.

"I think I might agree."

We chuckle then stop when Tyler stirs in Colton's arms.

"I better go before he starts crying," Colton says after a couple of minutes.

I grin at him. "You're an uncle now, pretty crazy huh?"

He half smiles down at Tyler. "Pretty fucking crazy."

Later that night, long after Colton's gone and Tyler is asleep in his crib, I go into the bedroom and undress before getting under the covers next to Rachel.

"Is everything okay?" She asks opening one of her eyes.

"Yes, go back to sleep," I say softly putting my arm around her shoulders. She snuggles next to me, placing her hand on my chest. I kiss the top of her head.

A silent thank you for the life she has given me. I'm a father now. Thanks to her. Thanks to the contract.

To think all of this started with two signatures....