Queer Eye

Why "The Fab Five" Are The Most Special Men on Netflix

Melissa

I'm sure if you're reading this article, you're a fan of "The Fab Five," much like myself. You know just how funny, creative, proud, fierce and FABULOUS these guys are. I needn't tell you that, however, I will tell you why (in my opinion) they are the most special men on Netflix!

Who is your personal favourite guy and why? 

Let's start with my personal favourite, Tan "Tanny" France. He was born Tanveer Wasim Safdar, in a Muslim household in the United Kingdom. Tan is a British Pakistani, gay man. That sentence alone; there's so much power to show the adversity Tanny has gone through to be where he is today. From what I've seen in the media and from what I've been told, being a man of colour alone is enough of a challenge in a predominantly white society in Brittain, but he's also gay, which is frowned upon by his family's religion, as well as many of Britain. Needless to say, it takes the courage of a thousand people to do what Tan has done; coming from the UK to America as a British Pakistani gay man in the fashion industry to become part of "The Fab Five" and star in a show on Netflix. I bet all the kids that bullied him in high-school are wishing they stayed friends with Tan so he could have taught them some class.

 I bet all the kids that bullied him in high-school are wishing they stayed friends with Tan so he could have taught them some class

*

My fellow Canadian, Antoni Porowski, is the food and wine master of "The Fab Five" and honestly, Netflix couldn't have chosen a better fit for this part. Antoni grew up in Montreal, Quebec with Polish immigrant parents, speaking three languages as a kid and learning how to cook by watching the way his grandmother would do things in the kitchen. I'm a big fan of self-taught skills and Antoni is literally a self-made man. He built his career from the ground up, coming from immigrant parents who could quite possibly have been very strict when he was growing up. Antoni mentions his dad briefly in Queer Eye but based on the way he speaks of his father, I'm assuming they don't have the best relationship. I, personally, respect Antoni a lot because whenever he cooks he does it with passion and honesty. That's an important thing to have and seems to be diminishing in society. People these days appear to be valuing their financial welfare more than their own happiness which is so sad. It's refreshing to see Antoni do what he loves and really express how much he loves it. We could really learn a thing or two from our Polish Pal.

 We could really learn a thing or two from our Polish Pal