The witness testimony began, "What a bummer. And here I thought I could find a suitable partner." He said dejectedly, looking like a sad puppy.

"My name is Dazai Osamu, currently unemployed. I am here to clear the guiltiness of the young man over there. He did not do such a thing. I can confirm you of that." He stated with a clear voice and then he locked his auburn gaze with you.

"I lodged on the opposite hotel but on the same floor as he is. When the crime happens, that man opens his window to look over where the gunshot came from. As I was curious, I peer through the curtain of my window at that time and saw him." He recounted.

You observed his whole character to see if there are lies or not... but...

There... there wasn't any... there wasn't any trace of lies on him... how can this be?!

"O-OBJECTION!" You protest, somewhat disturbed by the whole charade. "There's no proof saying he lodge on that night at the opposite hotel."

"We already make a confirmation with the receptionist at the hotel and this is the footage of this man lodging at the lobby before the crime took place." The defense attorney displays his image. He had that smirk of having the upper hand and turned the table around.

There's no wording saying he lied either. How could this be? How did this happen? Your mind was racking to search for the answer to this sudden development. You were sure the perpetrator didn't kill using a gun.

"Does the prosecutor have anything else to say?" The judge asks you when you fall silent.

"What you were doing that night, witness? It absurd to think you show up at a convenient time like that." You inquired with a doubt.

Dazai blush, "Oh come on. Do I have to tell you that? I was in secret meeting with someone, you see." He winks. "But I don't mind telling you the detail, though. Ah, how wonderful! When I remember it back, I wish I could repeat that stimulation over again. So warm and so soft! Like I am being enveloped in a cloud nine! Kyaaa! I feel so embarrassed just to say it out loud!" You instantly regret asking with all his scandalous innuendoes answer.

Still, the witness testimonies have no basis in it, yet you can't tell whether what he said was the truth or not or see any contradiction. Does it mean... you are wrong? Or could it be that... you depend too much on your ability?

You?

'It's not an ability, it's just me being too smart but I refused to admit that I don't have one.'

Huh? Suddenly you remember him. If that person who doesn't have the ability can come up with an extreme deduction, then what makes you any inferior to him? You have the ability of Deception Detection; so you shouldn't fret over this much in the first place.

Right.

Dazai furtively looks contented over this unfolding event and the confused look of your face.

You can't give up yet, there are still a few questions left that bug you.

"Moving on that night, can you remember the exact time you saw him?"

"If I am not mistaken, around 8.30 pm."

Really? Is he telling the truth? But the time he witnesses corresponds to the time of the victim's death.

"And you heard the gunshot as well?"

"Yes! I wasn't able to sleep at all that night! Remembering how it sounds and rings in my eardrums. How nice... if only someone would shoot me. But don't get me wrong! I hate pain, so suicide by shooting myself is a big no!" He makes a cross gesture and grimaces from the imagined pain.