“I didn’t say we were,” Caine finally spoke.

Instead of waiting for me to take his hand, he placed it on my lower back and gave me a small push forward.

“The car’s waiting. We should get going,” he said.

His strides were longer than mine, but I could tell he was making an effort to walk slower for me. Even if he didn’t want to, he had to if he wanted me to keep up.

All the way to his car, Caine kept his hand on the small of my back. He didn’t try to hold me, but I felt like he was showing his claim on me with how close we were walking.

It wasn’t like it mattered. The bite on my neck, which was very much visible on my skin, was proof enough to any Wolf that Caine had staked his claim.

“So is this what Alphas do?” I asked once we arrived at a restaurant in the middle of town.

I had passed by the same restaurant the day Lesley and her guys were chasing me.

“Most of us come here. One of the pack members owns it,” Caine said, as he walked with me to one of the tables.

I didn’t noticed when it was that he’d taken a hold of my hand.

It explained why my hand was tingling and felt full of electricity.

We hardly talked before or after the waitress took our orders. I didn’t know what to say. The only things that kept coming out of my mouth were accusations towards Caine and his pack. He didn’t seem to appreciate it very much.

By the time our food arrived, Caine already had a deep frown.

“I’m not holding you hostage,” Caine told me for what seemed like the hundredth time.

“Of course you’re not.” I couldn’t stop the sarcasm that was dripping from my voice when I said that.

Instead of going along with the argument, Caine just remained quiet.

“You don’t exactly make things easy,” I told him after a while.

Caine cocked an eyebrow, but it seemed like he was waiting for me to continue speaking.

“You’re so intense,” I said.

“I’m intense,” Caine repeated, although it didn’t seem like he agreed. “How is that relevant?” he asked.

“It’s not. I just felt like getting it out there.”

“You’re young, I know that,” he told me.

I couldn’t help but frown at him. It wasn’t what I wanted to hear, especially not from him.

“Now it’s my turn to ask, how is that relevant?”

“I understand your behavior. Not entirely, but I’m trying to,” Caine said.

His words were enough to put a damper in my mood. I didn’t want to be with Caine. At least, I didn’t think I wanted to be with him. I just didn’t want him to treat me like a little girl or say he was trying to ‘understand’ me because of my age.

“Did you send someone to fix my doors?” I asked him on the drive back to his house.

Lunch had not gone great.

“Not yet,” he said.

“What?”

“I haven’t sent anyone yet,” Caine repeated.