I hardly recognized my voice. I had been so worried about him. It had been the longest I’d gone without talking to Liam since I met him over a year ago.

“I owed you, still do. I missed you Charlie. I’ll call you, okay?”

“Okay,” I told him.

I didn’t have to be in front of him to know that he was grinning.

“Don’t misbehave,” he warned me.

I chuckled at his words, and shook my head, although he couldn’t see me.

“I won’t.”

“If you do, don’t get caught.”

“You’re the worse, you know that?”

“I know, but I’m serious. Be careful,” he said, his voice going slightly serious.

“I will. You, be careful too.”

“Sure will. Laters Charlie,” he said.

“Bye Liam,” I said, laughing when I said his name.

I hung up right after. I had been close to telling him about Caine. In the end, I couldn’t do it.

I would deal with it once I had to. Right now, I needed to buy myself some time.

I wasn’t sure if there was anyone in the house. I hadn’t heard any movement around. Then again, Caine’s house was so big he could’ve been in a room downstairs and I wouldn’t have been able to hear him.

I took the liberty of showering and getting ready. Caine had said this was more or less my room for now.

It was just after two in the afternoon when I was walking downstairs.

“Charlotte.” I heard my name being called. Caine was headed my way.

‘God he looks gorgeous,’ I thought to myself.

I had to shake my head at that thought. It came to my mind on its own. There was just no denying that he was attractive and that my body reacted to him.

“Hey,” I said, giving him a small wave.

“Did you sleep well?” He asked.

I was on the second step of the stairs and he came to stand in front of me. Even with the height advantage from the two steps, he was still a few inches taller than me.

“I fell in love with your bed,” I admitted, thinking back to just how good I had slept.

Not only was the bed extra big, but it was very comfortable.

“It’s yours,” Caine told me.

“Right,” I said, rolling my eyes at him.

Like if I was going to fall for that one.

“Do you want to go out for lunch?” He asked, ignoring my remark.

I was already getting used to the low and steady tone in his voice. I had to admit I got a thrill every time he spoke- that was, unless he was threatening me.

“I don’t mind,” I shrugged.

He nodded, and put his hand out for me to take. I gave it one look before meeting his gaze.

“We’re not together,” I stated.

The way he kept his stare on me was making me squirm. His penetrating gaze made me look away from him first. Even though it wasn’t possible, I felt like he could hear what was running through my mind.