Chapter Thirteen-

Start from the beginning

    "What do you mean?" Our lips were so close, if I shuffled the slightest bit forward they'd be touching. Until this point, that was the only thing I could think about, but now I wanted to pull away. Put some distance between us. Because I couldn't believe what I was hearing. Most people would feel eager in anticipation for the next words, but me, no. I wasn't. Do I know why? I've said it before, and I'll say it again: I can't handle all this emotional shit. It's too overwhelming, too deep. But you know something that surprised me? I didn't run away. 

    I stayed long enough to hear, "I love you, Jake." Being whispered through his lips. I stayed long enough to watch as his eyes slid shut, expecting the worst reaction. Expecting me to shove him away and dive for the door. I know this, because I know Lee. I know that look on his face, where he presses his eyes closed so tightly in dread, where he wishes he could just sink away into the ground and never have to face reality. Where he wishes everything could just be a dream. 

    I stayed long enough to tilt his chin up, give him a cocky one-sided grin, and say, "Damn right you do." Before pulling our lips together and getting lost in the feeling of just having him close. The entire time, I noticed my grip on his shirt hadn't loosened one little bit. His palm rested against the back of my neck, slid down over my shoulder and stopped by my hip to pull me even closer, before returning to my neck and sliding into my hair. Just as I was about to roll him onto his back and crawl on top of him, I heard a knock on my door. 

    What surprised me again is, I didn't launch myself off the bed and over to the furthest wall,  but instead, sat upright, rolled my eyes, sighed and then dragged myself over to see who had the nerve to interrupt us. Turns out, it was Mandy. I don't know who else I thought it would've been, my parents were both still at work. First thing I received from her was a huge grin as her eyes trailed from my face and over to the background, which by the little glint in her eyes was Felix laying on my bed with the covers all ruffled up and- Oh my God! 

    In an act of realisation mixed with complete shock and horror, I pushed Mandy backwards and slammed the door shut behind me, so it was only me and her stood out in the hall. She stared at me, her eyebrows raised so high on her forehead, it looked like she'd just had botox. 

    "It's not what you're thinking." I pointed at her, panic washing over my former relaxed state. "Wait- what're you thinking? Cause if you're not thinking what I think you're thinking, then you should keep thinking that." The words flew from my mouth so fast that I could barely understand what I'd said myself. Mandy just nodded along as if she knew what I'd said, but it was clear she didn't from the look on her face. 

    "I just wondered if you boys were hungry. I can make you sausage and mash?" She couldn't hold back a little snort at her pun. Honestly, it made me cringe with embarrassment. 

    "Look lady," I stood in her direct view, trying to make sure I had her full attention and she heard me clearly. I thought up some proper good words that would make her cower at the very sight of me...until her eyebrows dropped low and knitted together, so much so it looked like she'd miraculously formed a monobrow, and her lips curved down in disappointment. I immediately changed what I was going to say, cause I'm telling you now, this woman angry is like the terminator on steroids. 

    "I think sausage and mash sounds great!" I feigned excitement and gave her an innocent smile, it always used to win her over when I was a kid. By the looks of things, it still had the same effect, as her features softened and a smile sprung back onto her face. 

    "Excellent!" She gave me a cute shrug of the shoulders and turned to leave. 

    "Wait, Mandy," I took a few steps towards her as she twirled to face me. "Don't tell the 'rents, yeah?" 

    "Jake, honey, I still haven't told your parents about the time you spilt milk over their two thousand pound rug, when you were eleven." 

    "You know about that?" My voice dropped to a whisper, like I thought my parents would hear me from all the way in their offices if I spoke too loud. Mandy just smiled, nodding her head. 

    "Mandy sees all." She brought her index and middle finger up, pointing to her eyes before aiming them at mine, doing the 'I'm watching you' gesture. Well, that was one way to make me feel paranoid. "Relax Jake, your secret's safe with me. But I just want you to know that if you ever need to ta-"

    "No!" I cut her off as soon as I caught on to what she was getting at. "Mandy, no...you're not giving me the birds and the bees talk. Please, not you." I pushed her by the shoulders, turning her around and directing her towards the stairs. "You go...do your shiz, me and Lee are just gonna chill out..." She peered over her shoulder at me, giving me that knowing and suggestive look. "I said chill out Mandy, not make out." 

    She held her hands up in surrender. "Okay then, you boys have fun." I could just imagine her winking as she sauntered on down the stairs. I slowly made my way back into my bedroom, finding Lee leaning against the wall right next to the door.

    "Anybody ever tell you not to eavesdrop?" I muttered. He shrugged lazily with a smile. 

    "So, how bout we make out- I mean chill out, then." He winked playfully, taking my hand and pulling me over to the bed.