Chapter 4

Okay so uh, I wanna clarify something's before this chapter starts. Dazai is 22 in the present day and Nyx is 18. It's a 4 year age difference. Also Nyx is the name of the goddess of the night. Thought I'd state that for the people who didn't know. One more thing, Nyx met Dazai when she was 15 and Dazai was 19. Still a 4 year age difference. ANYWAYS onto the story

I wasn't allowed to leave the Mafia's headquarters for a week. This was my punishment for not capturing Dazai when we were in that alley.

It's not too bad compared to what I got from the other night from Chuuya...

My job for the next week was personally attending to Mori. Basically I'm his personal assistant until my punishment is lifted. The only time I can leave HQ is if Mori is with me.

"Let's go." Mori said grabbing the keys. Elise was right behind him. I nodded and followed them out the doors.

Once in the car Mori told Elise to sit in the back and he let me have the passenger seat. This was a total shock to both me and Elise. I could feel her staring holes in the back of my head from the back.

"Elise sweetheart, I need you to plug your ears and sing 'la la la' please." Mori spoke and she stubbornly obeyed.

"Nyx, we are driving to find Dazai right now. I want you to shoot him." Mori spoke clearly. My heart stopped for a solid thirty seconds. I coughed once I regained my breath. Mori didn't look away from the road once. His facial expression didn't change.

"Either that or you and Chuuya can't stay in the same room anymore. If you can't obey a simple order maybe you shouldn't be in the Port Mafia any longer." He stated. I was speechless, this was the only home I've ever known. "Fine..."

Mori gave Elise the thumbs up to unplug her ears and she did so happily. He didn't want her hearing the part about me and Chuuya sleeping together.

We turned the corner right where the Armed Detective Agency was. Mori slowed down the car as we passed and I rolled down my window. There he was, Dazai. He was outside the building talking to a boy with poorly cut bangs. I swollowed hard and pulled out my gun.

I went though my breathing and began my routine.

"Never point a gun at something you don't intend to kill."

I pulled my finger back next to the trigger.

"Don't pull... squeez."

I slowly brought my finger back next to the trigger.

"Steady my breathing."

I slowly squeezed my finger back, still next to the trigger. I could feel how shaky I was, I couldn't get my natural point of aim.

I could hear Mori click his tongue and I knew it was now or never.

I took in one last deep breath and slowly let it out. Putting my index finger on the trigger at the same time. I aimed straight for his head, time seemed to slow down, I slowly began to squeeze the trigger but my heart rate was throwing off my aim.

Finally I pressed the trigger all the way back and the recoil pushed my back into the seat. I put the gun down on the floorboard and looked out the window. I hit him but it was only his shoulder.

I ducked down into the seat and slouched down a bit so you couldn't see me in the window. Mori took off down the street and when I felt like we were a good distance away I sat up and looked behind us.

Dazai was laying there on the ground in a pool of blood. The boy he was talking to had disappeared and there now was a girl running out the building.

Mori stepped in the gas harder, we were swerving everywhere. "What are you doing? We're-" I started but was cut off by my door being ripped off the hinges. It was that boy who was talking to Dazai. "Shit! Nyx do something!" Mori yelled.

"A sirens song."

With three simple words my ability was activated. A light blue aura sounded my body and I began to sing.

"Are you tired of me yet? I'm alittle sick right now but I swear when I'm ready I will fly us outta here."  (This is home - cavetown)

The words escaped my lips and while I sang I could control his mind. Making him into a puppet. I told him to let go and he did. Falling from the high speeding car onto the hard ground.

Mori turned the corner sharply and I nearly flew out the open door.

We finally got back to HQ. We all ran inside, Mori was laughing. "Gotta admit, Nyx, I didn't think you would do it." He said straightening himself out. I just looked down.

"This is the only home I've ever knows. I would have had no where else to go if you kicked me out. It's not like I had a choice." I said, dusting off my dress.

I walked over to the elevator and pressed the button for my floor. Once the door opened a familiar orange haired man appeared. "Nyx!" He said and wrapped his arms around me, pulling me into the elevator with him. I made eye contact with Mori right before the door closes and he looked concerned.

Once the door was fully closed and we began to move Chuuya let go of me. "You know Mori was just testing you right? He wasn't going to kick you out the Mafia." Chuuya said. I just lowered my head. "Oh." Was all I could mumble out.

The elevator got to our floor and I stepped out. "You're not coming with?" I asked and Chuuya just shook his head. "No I only rode up here with you to make sure you were okay. I have a few things to do." He said then the doors closed.

I went to my apartment and closed the door. I took out my phone and laid across the leather couch.

I went over emails

Missed calls

Missed texts

Threats

More emails.

The usual.

Then my phone started to ring. It was a number I've never seen before so my first thought was it was a wrong number but I picked it up anyways. "Hello?" I called into the phone.

"You know... shooting people isn't nice my little goddess."

My blood ran cold. That voice, that tone... that nickname. I felt a bead of sweat drip down my forehead. I didn't know how to respond.

We were silent for a moment. Then Dazai spoke once more. "Remember Nyx. I know all your weaknesses. I know you better than you know yourself. Think before you act next time."

With those words he hung up the phone. By now I was hanging half way off the couch so I just dropped my phone. "This day couldn't get any worse!" I screamed to no one but myself.

I turned over onto my back and stared at the ceiling. It wasn't before long until my eyelids became so heavy the just shut on their own. I guess it was nap time.