Chapter 5

Shorty Blackwell, Shorty Blackwell

Be friends with me, be friends with me
Shorty Blackwell, Shorty Blackwell
Be friends with me, be friends with me

The search for Shawn and Sharon began as soon as Micky (once he regained consciousness, that is), Davy, Michelle, and Petra went through the mirror.

I'm feeling very bad today

Both groups began thoroughly searching their houses.

Another cat came in to stay

Petra and Peter, now that they knew they could turn invisible, both did so, seeming to disappear into thin air.

He's eating all my food...

The others all had their backs turned at the moment Peter and Petra disappeared, so when they turned around, they were left waving their hands in empty air and calling for Peter (and Petra).

He's speaking very crude...

Petra reappeared beside the totem pole, hopping up and down on one foot while holding the other foot with one hand. Michelle motioned for her to rejoin the others. Petra answered her by disappearing again. Davy threw his hands in the air.

He's gonna change the mood

Peter reappeared lying on the couch, one leg crossed over the other. He disappeared when Gina tried to take his hand.

I'm feeling very bad today

Petra popped back into view on the staircase, watching as the other three looked for her down below. Petra whistled shrilly, making them all look up. Davy reached for her foot through the bars of the stair railing.

A red balloon got in my way

Dev opened the door to the coat closet, peeked inside, and closed it again. After she'd closed it, she realized she'd seen a clump of blonde bangs between two coats. But when she opened the door again, the bangs were gone.

It followed me around
And never touched the ground
What can I say?

Mike stood in the middle of the room for a moment, scratching his head. Then he brightened and snapped his fingers. A light bulb appeared over his head, and he pointed at it for Dev's and Gina's sakes.

He built a house upon a hill

Then Mike disappeared. Dev and Gina threw their hands in the air.

Ask him if he's happy, and then give him pill
He's going mad

Petra hung from the stair railing with both hands, calling to the others below. They looked up and ordered her to come down.

He bought another car today

Petra's left hand slipped, and she found herself hanging only by her right hand. Michelle, Micky, and Davy screamed as they watched.

Ask him if he's happy, then turn the other way
He's going mad

Michelle was just starting up the stairs when Petra's other hand slipped. Davy and Micky both held out their arms to catch her.

Just as she would have reached them, she disappeared. Micky and Davy stared at their empty arms.

He's going mad

(He's going mad)
He's going mad

(He's going mad)
He's going mad

(He's going mad)