#23:;UTHMAN BIN AFFAN: (رضي الله عنه) :THE CALIPHATE OF UTHMAN

Începe de la început

Again, the Prophet had asked his companions and other Muslims to migrate, this time to Medina, to save themselves from enduring further evil plots of the Quraish. Among the emigrants to Medina were Uthman and Ruqayya.Upon arrival, Uthman stayed with Abu Talha ibn Thabit before moving into the house he purchased a short time later. Uthman was one of the richest merchants of Mecca, with no need of financial help from his Ansari brothers, as he had brought the considerable fortune he had amassed with him to Medina.

He was well-known as someone who was blessed with wealth. However, it did not make him arrogant or stingy. Instead, he was very generous and donated most of his wealth for the betterment of the community.

In a famous narration, it was reported that when the Prophet (prayers and peace be upon him) came to Madinah he found that there was very little fresh water there and there was no source of fresh water in Madinah except the well of Bi'r Roomah.

The Messenger of Allah (prayers and peace be upon him) said: "Who will buy Bi'r Roomah and share it with the Muslims in return for reward in Paradise?" And he said: "!Who will dig the well of Bi'r Roomah and Paradise will be his?"

Before the arrival of the Prophet (prayers and peace be upon him), no one could drink from Bi'r Roomah except in return for payment.

A man from Banu Ghifar had a well called Roomah and he used to sell water from it by the bucketful. The Prophet (prayers and peace be upon him) said: "Will you sell it in return for a spring in Paradise?" He said: O Messenger of Allah, my family and I do not have anything else. News of that reached Uthman and he bought it for thirty-five thousand dirhams, then he came to the Prophet (prayers and peace be upon him) and he said: Will you promise me in return for it the same as you promised him? He said: "Yes." He said: Then I give it to the Muslims.

In another narration, it was reported that Saidina Uthman r.a. donated hundreds of camels and trading goods to the poor and needy in Madinah. Such was the spirit of giving that was displayed by this noble companion of the Prophet s.a.w.

When the Muslims went out to fight the Battle of Badr, Uthman's (R.A.) wife Ruqayyah (R.A.) was sick and was confined to her bed at the time when her father Mohammad (S.A.W.) called on the Muslims to intercept the caravan of Quraish. Uthman hastened to go out with the Messenger of Allah (S.A.W.) but he did not allowed Uthman to go with them and ordered him to stay with Ruqayyah (R.A.) and nurse her by saying:
"You [Uthman]will receive the same reward and share (of the booty) as anyone of those who participated in the battle of Badr (if you stay with her)." (Bukhari: 3699)

Uthman obeyed willingly and stayed with his wife Ruqayyah. When she breathed her last breaths, she was longing to see her Father who had gone out to Badr. Her grieving husband, Uthman, buried his beloved wife in Al-Baqee (sacred graveyard of Muslims near Masjid Al-Nabawi in Madinah). After returning victories from the Battle of Badr, Messenger (S.A.W.) learned about the death of his daughter Ruqayyah (R.A.), he went out to Al-Baqee and stood over the grave of his daughter and prayed for forgiveness for her.

After the death of Ruqayyah ,Prophet Mohammad (S.A.W) married his daughter Umm Kulthum (R.A.) with Uthman, who stayed with Uthman (R.A.) unitl her death in Shaban, 9 AH.

It has been said that marriage to two daughters of the Prophet SAW had earned Uthman the nickname Dhun-Noorayn (the possessor with the two lights) as there was no one else had the privilege of having the Prophet SAW as a father-in-law twice over.

This is inductive of the love of the Prophet Mohammad (S.A.W.) for Uthman and of Uthman's loyalty and respect towards his Prophet (S.A.W.)

When the Messenger of Allah (prayers and peace be upon him) halted at al-Hudaybiyah, he deemed it essential to send a representative to Quraysh, to tell them of his peaceful intentions and that he had no desire to fight, and he wanted to respect the holy places; he wanted to perform Umrah and then return to Madinah.