"But!" He exclaimed making her stop at the bottom of the basements staircase. "I'll be listening."

"Fine," Ash sighed.

Damon grabbed three blood bags from the fridge before following her up the stairs.

****

"Hey Tess," Ash spoke into the phone.
"Hey hun, are you ok?" her Aunt Tess asked from the other end of the line.
"Yeah just calling to let you know I'm gonna stay at Cameron's for a couple days so I might not be at the house very often."
"That's fine. Why are you staying at Cameron's? Are you feeling lonely being home alone most of the time?"
"No, I dont mind it its just me and Cam have been paired up for a school project."
"Oh ok. That's fine with me as long as his parents are ok with it."
"Yeah it's cool."
"Ok well I have to go I'll see you soon good luck with your school project."
"Love you Tess."

The line went dead and a soft chuckle from behind her broke the silence followed by slow clapping.

"Well played," Damon commented, a half empty blood bag in his teeth.

He took a sip from the thin straw he'd stuck in the bag as he sat on a stool infront of the kitchen counter, opposite Ash.

"I'm glad you find the conversation amusing," Ash replied.

She started tapping on her phone and pressed it to her ear again, listening to the long drone as the dial rang.

"Woah! Hey, you said you only needed to call your Aunt," Damon exclaimed with a confused look.

"Well I have friends who care about me unlike you and I'd like to let them know I'm not dead thank you very much," Ash smiled at him when he frowned in response.
"Actually I do have friends for your information."
"Stefan's your brother he doesn't count."
"Sure he does."

"I only love you because I have to Damon!" came a shout from the other room which made Ash laugh.

"Quit ear wigging Stefan!" Damon shouted back.

"Ash Silverstone you piece of shit where the hell are you and why haven't you been answering the god damn phone I've called you fifty billion times and left over a dozen messages tell me what the hell is going on!" Cameron's voice cried out from the phone.

"Jesus Christ Cam slow down!" Ash exclaimed watching Damon laugh to himself as he sipped on his blood bag.

"Where are you?"
"Chill would ya, I'm fine it's just Tess decided I needed some time away for a while. Dont worry I haven't been kidnapped by some rude, annoying alcoholic."

Damon stuck his middle finger up at her and she did the same back to him.

"She's not wrong!" Stefan called out.

"Ass hole," Damon muttered under his breath.

"Good, thank god I've been worrying about you all morning," Cameron sighed through the phone.
"Aww how sweet of you to actually care about someone," Ash mocked him.
"Ha ha hilarious. So what are you doing and how long until you get back?"

Damon gave her a look implying her to zip it.

"Just staying at a rented beach hut for a few days, I'll be back in time for the party on Friday."
"Good. Since when did your Aunt own a beach hut?"
"She rented it online."
"Ok, when are you next free to call?"

"I..." Ash trailed off for a moment looking at Damon for help. He waved his hand across his neck and mouthed 'no' to her.

"I can't really the signal down here is terrible and Tess wants me to relax for the next couple of days." She lied.

"Aunt and niece bonding time?"
"Unfortunately."
"Ok, well I love you and I have to go before I get detention for skipping lessons again."
"If anyone asks I've been abducted by blood sucking freaks, ok?"

Damon threw an empty blood bag at her face as Cameron laughed in her ear.

"You watch too many movies. Anyway I love you and I'll see you Friday."
"Love you too."
"Bye."

Ash hung up the phone and placed it on the kitchen counter in front of her. She rubbed her forehead and sighed in relief that he didn't get suspicious.

"Aww is that your boyfriend," Damon teased. "I bet you miss his hugs and kisses and how good it feels when-"
"Don't even think about finishing that sentence!" Ash cut him off.

He laughed at her anger.

"Actually he's not my boyfriend for your information, he's been my best friend since I was eight."
"Sounds like a dork."
"I guess that's something you and him have in common then."

As she walked past him to leave, Ash shoved his shoulder. Damon fell off the stool managing to grab the counter before he hit the floor.

He growled in frustration and watched her walk away without another word said.